Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Saarinen

Think i fixed it?

post-55238-0-36534500-1477847406_thumb.jpgpost-55238-0-68313000-1477847426_thumb.jpg This is a older salmon reel, Loop evotech c/w 8twelve, the drag died in the ass few years ago, tried to play with it back then, even had a guy in the flyshop look at it, he couldn't help! It lived in the cupboard thinking about it now & then, over two days i played with it a bit & on the second day i got the whole thing apart & made adjustments, feels good but the drag is not as strong as some of the new reels you play with in the shop that feel like they can stop a train, but on this reel you can use your palm! Anyway, i'm gonna put a Rio Outbound 11wt intermediate line i got on the cheap on it & use it on my 10wt rod on my Australia trip, should be no problem if i rinse it all the time & the handle is what i really wanted people to see! It's the best handle i've ever seen or felt on any fly reel!

What did you do to have some drag again?

I know I would not take it to a trip to Australia if I did not feel it was good as new.

I just done normal manly kind of fix it things, like pull it apart with no instructions, not lose anything, clean it, tighten everything, pretended i knew what i was doing when the misses was watching, put it back together with no bits left over & presto!:-)

It'll be fine Adam, that's what you got palms for. Just make sure you take some balm for the blisters.

Meaty looking handle! Looks kinda like some handles on baitcaster reels I have! Believe me, that's a thought that's crossed my mind, doing a bit of handle modifying on some of my fly reels, but never tried it! unsure.png

Adam, I don't know anything about the reel you have, but if it isn't specifically made for salt water, I'd leave it home. I used freshwater reels in the salt for years (there were no affordable saltwater reels readily available back in those days) and If I got a full season out of any of them, I considered myself lucky. I don't care how much you rinse them, the salt will find a place to hide. Even a cheap saltwater reel with a working drag would be preferable, especially considering the distance you'll be traveling. BTW - drags that will stop a train are vastly overrated unless you enjoy broken leaders, or even worse, broken rods.