Fly Tying
zip

Crap or Crop?

Most of us have caught them at one point or another,but the name of the game is crappie.Monster size slabs that melt in your mouth,but not in peanut oil!

I'm curious how y'all pronounce the name of this fish as it gets old having my father in law try to correct me.Do you say Crop-e or Crap-e?

Steve

Typed this once so will try again. I call them specks, speckled trout, speckled perch, calico bass, sauc-a-lait, speckled bass, strawberry bass, and my favorite, papermouths. If limited to your options it's always Crop-e. Fillet them out, dip in your favorite batter, deep fry them in oil, and they never taste Crap-e.

According to Merriam Webster, it's pronounced "Kroppy" ... not "Krappy".

Growing up in Indiana, that's how we always pronounced it, too.

As has been mentioned, "crappy" has a whole different meaning, and I don't ever associate that meaning with the fish in question.

Crop-e is is how it's pronounced in these parts. I have noticed that the further South you go those that don't call them specks will pronounce it crap-e. So maybe a regional thing?

According to Merriam Webster, it's pronounced "Kroppy" ... not "Krappy".

Growing up in Indiana, that's how we always pronounced it, too.

As has been mentioned, "crappy" has a whole different meaning, and I don't ever associate that meaning with the fish in question.

That's a bunch of crappie. We call 'em crappie in PA

They have always been specks here in inland so flo. If I'm conversing with some salty friends they may be called crappie at times. Mainly to keep from confusing their version of a speck, as in a sea trout.

Sounds like it's a personal preference more than anything.

calico bass here in new england

Interesting how variable naming is across the country. I have relatives on the west coast that fish for calico bass. (Or at least that is what they call them). It is a saltwater variety.

Calico bass is what I called them as a kid. I'll say either crap- or crop- as the spirit moves. I no doubt that crop- is "correct" however, since the word is from the French.

Whatever you call them, they're one of my favorite fish to eat. I doubt that I would have survived grad school if not for the extra protein at the end of the month.