Fly Tying
dogfacedoc

Fly tying vise recommendations

I've been tying off a BPS vise from their starter kits, and my GF is talking about buying some fly tying stuff for me for Christmas. I am looking for a vise that has spring loaded jaws, either true rotary or not. Recommendations in the $100ish range?

Griffin Odysey with cam are available for $100. A Danvise or Griffin Pro are less.

I have a Griffin Spyder. It doesn't have the cam but is a true rotary. I now use a Griffin Montana Mongoose. Still have the Spyder and it does get used from time to time.

Griffin Odysey with cam are available for $100. A Danvise or Griffin Pro are less.

I have a Griffin Spyder. It doesn't have the cam but is a true rotary. I now use a Griffin Montana Mongoose. Still have the Spyder and it does get used from time to time.

Ya rs, but they aren't spring jaw vises.

I really don't know of a $100 vise with spring loaded jaws. They tend to go from the Regal knock offs made in India right to the actual $175 Regal.

If by spring loaded jaws you are referring to a regal style vise, then there simply ain't much out there. It's a regal at 175 or a knockoff. There seems to be plenty of knock offs out there but they all seem to be made by Terra and they cost 35 bucks. I've also seen flyshop brands that are most likely Terra's since they are exactly the same and flyshops are not building their own vises for sale. The rebranded flyshop vises are selling for double the price of a Terra.

What's important is not how the vise holds the hook but how well the vise holds the hook. I have a Thompson, a griffin, and a recently acquired regal and they all hold the hook just fine. Is the regal less fuss for putting a hook in? Yep, sure is. Is it a difficult and lengthy process to secure A hook in my other vises? Nope, sure ain't. Spring loaded jaws or not would not be a deal maker or breaker for me. I will say the regal holds the hook very very well. I have no knowledge of the knock offs but the Terras seem to be rated high by those who bought them. a hundred ish is light for a vise. A hundred fifty ish is better so don't rule out other vises just because they don't have spring loaded jaws.

I've been using a Danvise for over twenty years. Not fancy or pretty but a functional rotary vise. I've tied on hook size ranging from size 32 up to 6/0 with it. Last time I bought one it was $80 but I think they're up to $100 these days.

I use an wolf atlas vise, it isn't spring jawed but it holds hooks well and I can rotate it if desired which is nice, much easier to trim deer hair when when you can rotate the vise. I wouldn't get stuck on jaw type especially at that price range.

Except when the vise you want doesn't exist. A Regal is closer to 200ish and a knockoff is closer to 50 ish. For 100ish you could get a good vise without the spring jaws and 150ish opens lots of doors. We all know how difficult it is picking out a vise.

True. But if the Terra gives him the spring loaded feature and that's what he's after, I don't see a problem with spending $40 on the Terra instead of $100 on a different kind of vise.

Maybe could also get a used regal for about $100 on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/regal-fly-tying-vise/302951044425?hash=item46894a1549:g:ScgAAOSw5iVb5NiD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REGAL-ENGINEERING-Fly-Tying-Vice-US-Pat-4375284-Made-in-USA/113340438767?hash=item1a639dd8ef:g:~f0AAOSwNexb2IIH#vi__app-cvip-panel

And there is the rub. Vises that have been mentioned with cams and levers all have "springs" be it an o ring or some other type.

The original post did not say spring close or open. Just spring loaded jaws.