Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
netabrookie

Todays Birthdays

I am just curious as to why the birthdays of members that haven't been active in many years appear but yet you can look at the complete list and see active members listed, but very far down the list. Why isn't some of the older, non-active members listed last and the more recent and active members listed first? One site that I used to be a member of weeds out its non-active members after a period of time when no posts or when no activity has occurred. It's not really an issue at all but I am curious about it.

I don't see this as a problem, in terms of my being able to read the list. Any given day's list is not that long. I also don't see it as an insult to current or active members... mine was next to last on my day. I suspect the system automatically generates that list. How it decides the order is a mystery to me, since it doesn't appear in alphabetical order, or in order of date of original membership, but it doesn't bother me.

I do think it's curious to see so many people who only joined, and never even opened the forum after that single original post. I'd suggest cutting those "members" out of the list, as they apparently joined on a lark, or maybe fishing for dates/contacts.

Or maybe if a member hasn't been active for an established number of years, the system could automatically email them asking if they intend to continue, and then drop them if they don't reply.

Lets not forget the market value of a public resource depends partly on the numbers of public accessing it and deleting members may have a knock on effect with advertisers for a site that bills itself as the biggest world wide.