Fly Tying
Fisherboy0301

Wade fishing awareness cautionary tale

There are lots of ways to cash in your chips while wading, And some of them like this one are just going to catch you unaware. And from then on, you need a lot of breaks to walk away.

My worst wading scare came on a river in Bosnia maybe 30 years ago. I was always eager to reach far banks where the risers were and on this occasion some monster Rainbows were feeding just across the river. There was a 'tongue' on my side projecting about halfway across the river that was about waste deep as you got into casting range. It was not scary getting there as I used a wading staff and the footing was firm but what I didn't know until too late was that the down stream side of the tongue was actually a slurry of loose gravel in suspension over gradually deepening water. I inadvertently stepped beyond the last solid fooitng and got swept down-river ass over tea kettle across some pretty fast flowing shallow sections. I finally got up and waded out still clutching my rod.

The wader belt kept out most of the water and I went downstream most of the way feet foremost and head up. But the water was icy cold and thermal shock was taking over when the guys I was fishing with caught up to me. They had me run in place -- waders and all -- for about 10 minutes to crank up the circulation in my trunk and brain.

Looking back, that 'accident ' was nearly inescapable. The biggest lesson to be drawn was not to wade unknown waters but hell where does that leave you when all waters are unknown until you step in?

Rocco

We don't have ice problems here in SoFlo, but still have plenty of wading dangers. In all honesty, and this is probably because I am young, but I think that the more "dangerous" or harder a fish is to get to, the more rewarding it is to catch. I know to exercise caution and all that, but sometimes the risk is worth it, even if it doesn't pay off.

Flats, youth is an ailment that only heals with time.

Lots of things I did when I was younger are totally not worth it now that I have a family and a mortgage.

Too many things can go wrong in the situation this guy put himself into. I would have stayed home.

I know to exercise caution and all that, but sometimes the risk is worth it, even if it doesn't pay off.

Reads like famous last words, to me. Just in case you prove yourself wrong, Flats, It's been nice knowing you.

Those unsuspecting plunges into 70 degree water must be a real bitch. Way to live life on the edge.

All fish are worth taking chances with your life or you wouldn't do it.

A fall can happen about any place at any time and very often the places we fish have uneven ground and sometimes rocks waiting to break your body or head.

Unsuspected change in the underwater structure like sudden softness or a drop-off can be enough to dunk you. Dunking means your head is traveling faster than normal in an unplanned path and may encounter obstacles. A very small log is enough to bowl you over if it, like the ice in the story sneaks up behind you. Hypothermia is a constant danger any time in water below 99.6F simply because your body tries to heat the water.

Accept that living is dangerous and go prepared. Always kiss her goodby like you mean it and let some one know where to look for the body, just in case.

In deer hunting there is a phenomenon called "ground shrinkage". The ten inch racked 175-lber you shoot actually on close inspection is way smaller.

Happens with fish too. But catch and release destroys the evidence and validates all claims.

Rocco

Reminds of the first time I took my 10year old fly-fishing and insisted he wear a life jacket. Bucked it all the way, until a couple of hours later when he slipped and had to be fished out of the river. Very happy I made him wear the vest after that.

Come on guys, ordinarily fishing is not death defying. A dunk in the water is not death defying. Slipping and falling is not death defying. We are not taking our lives in hand by going out fishing. Some things certainly increase the risks such as icy cold water or heavy current but this is when caution must be used. Typically if it's cold enough to cause death I'm not going to go stand in water that I may fall into over my head. Same if the current is to strong. Outside of fishing when and where it's more prudent not to, fishing deaths caused by slipping or falling into knee deep water would more likely be a freak accident and not a death wish.

Are there some people that like to fancy themselves as "extreme" anglers? Yep there sure are. Do they risk death while fishing? Yep but only at a slightly higher level since these anglers are typically better prepared for the conditions. Ordinarily fishing is in no way shape or form a perilous activity.

When I know I'm going to wade I make sure of a couple things:

1)I wear a spiderwire fishing vest that is also a light weight life jacket.

2)My waders have the non-slip footing.A lot of people overlook them,but felt bottoms are just about the best thing out there IMO.

3)I carry a wading stick. Like a collapsible hiking stick just to feel around where I'm going to step.This alone has kept me from stepping into really deep holes without knowing or breaking an ankle on large loose rocks.

Flats, youth is an ailment that only heals with time.

Lots of things I did when I was younger are totally not worth it now that I have a family and a mortgage.

Too many things can go wrong in the situation this guy put himself into. I would have stayed home.

Ahhh true youth!I used to do those things all the time for big fish.Then it turned into more of a "Hold my beer and watch this" attitude.Now I just try to not throw my back out when I sneeze...