Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Changing bag to rubber net

Anyone ever swap out the mess bag on their net to a rubber one? I've got a custom made net that a fishing buddy had made for me years ago that is beautiful but the one thing I hate about it is the way hooks get caught in the mess bag. So gonna change it to a rubber bag before spring. I know it looks pretty straight forward to do but the problem is what size to order. Most places I see sell them in sizes like this http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/ghost-vinyl-replacement-net-bags-for-landing-nets/934160.aspx

14" x 11" 8" deep. But this custom net I have is some what of an oval that has been compressed on one end. How the heck do you measure this to get the right bag? lol

eL6KFS.jpg

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/replacement-nets/
"To select a replacement net, imagine your net hoop is a clock face with the handle at the 6 o’clock position. Measure the hoop's width from 3:00 to 9:00 and the length from 12:00." and "Compare the hoop sizes listed in our catalog/website with your measurement and select the closest net. A 12" x 14" hoop uses the same net as a 14" x 12". Consider net hoops that are pear shaped or have a scooped front edge to be round."

Looking at the pictures all the net frames have some sort of deformed teardrop shape. I would simply take the longest measurement on the approximate line of the handle and the widest measurement at approximately right angles to that line.

My last experience changing net bags was several years ago but as I recall the best you will get will be "close". The nature of the webbing should allow some stretch or pucker to make it almost fit. Just as important as size might be the number of attachment loops, with a wood frame you are limited by the lace in points.

I didn't see a lace listed at Jann's. In lacing it up I would try to place any size discrepancy at the handle fork, either puckering a bit or adding more/longer lace stitches.

Or use a string to measure the frame and use that as the circumference divide by 3.1416 to get a diameter and order for a round net frame.

Thanks tjm that helps a bunch. I did see a black lace on Janns last night when I was looking but now I can't seem to find it. I'll have to look again later tonight when I get more time.

At your link under read more; Our Ghost vinyl replacement nets are made of soft misty clear vinyl that reduces spooking of fish. Flat bottom allows your catch to lay at the bottom of the net reducing stress. Ideal for replacing nets on wood net frames. 14x11 and 16x12 have 15 loops for attaching to the frame, 19x22 has 18 loops, 24x26 has 24 loops.

I think the 16x12 is equal to 14" diameter or ~44" frame measure.

You could try a Measure Net replacement bag with a rubber coated nylon bet bag

You measure the circumference of the net frame and choose the right bag. It goes over the net hoop with a zipper so you do not need to weave the net back onto the frame. All you do is to cut the old bag on and zipper the new net bag onto the bare frame.

http://measurefish.com/products

See how the back goes over the frame and it zippers on the outside around the frame.

IMG_9490.JPG

You could do a combination. Hard plastic ring in the net, then tie the ring and net inside your frame.

IMG_9491.jpg

A little larger seems to be better for rubber in my experience. If laced to tight (stretching the rubber) I had the lace cut the new rubber bag and ended up buying the next size up. Could have been the quality of the rubber (China e-bay) the second one was a fishpond replacement bag still China but maybe a better rubber?