Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

A few recent bass bugs

Those all look great ... very well tied deer hair work.

Photographically, I love the last two for the rainbow effect of the flash in the tail. That's an attention getter !!!

Yep, 'bout as nice as any I've ever seen. It always mystifies a complete novice with deer hair spinning how you get the colors in there. Can you reveal a basic secret and tell me in one like yours is some of the color added with markers besides those that somehow get two different color hair on top and bottom? It also looks like the front of the bug may be dipped for that extra head color...or is that another color of hair you somehow get to separate like that?

Yep, 'bout as nice as any I've ever seen. It always mystifies a complete novice with deer hair spinning how you get the colors in there. Can you reveal a basic secret and tell me in one like yours is some of the color added with markers besides those that somehow get two different color hair on top and bottom? It also looks like the front of the bug may be dipped for that extra head color...or is that another color of hair you somehow get to separate like that?

No markers, all hair. It's not really spun, it's stacked hair. It's a similar but at the same time very different technique. Essentially, with spinning you're flaring and spinning the hair around the shank 360 degrees. Stacking, on the other hand, is adding clumps of hair to the hook, flaring it, but keeping it in place instead of allowing it to circle the hook. By doing that, you can layer in different colors and add barring, spots, dots, etc...