Fly Tying
utyer

Super Cheap DYI Dubbing:

I have been making my own dubbing for years, and recently I came across a "NEW" super inexpensive dubbing material. I made a couple of lanyards from Paracord. The cord cost 11 cents a foot at Ace Hardware. I had quite a few pieces left after making lanyards, so I took my dubbing brush, and frayed out a bit. The individual fibers are extremely fine, and some colors have a good sparkle look as well.

Edit: Forgot to mention, that I had pulled out the center core fibers when I made the lanyards, so they didn't become part of this dubbing. The core is usually white, so it could be used, if you want a lighter color.

The pictures tell the story, an inch of cord shredded into dubbing, (I use a coffee grinder,) cost less than a penny. The tan olive blend used 4.5" total for which cost less than a nickel. The ball of dubbing I made is about 4" in diameter, and 3" tall. The color is a good match for the PMDs I find when I fish out west.

The cost of the hook in this pattern was more than all the materials used.

post-12074-0-99025000-1507567448_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-78916700-1507567489_thumb.jpg

utyer, great idea! Hadn't considered Para cord.

I spun some up,then added some flash from some trim material I picked up from wallyworld. To the vise next!

post-61693-0-27793500-1507576592_thumb.jpeg

Now dyeing....?

And that sparkle Adorno might just spice up some of the combed out acrylic yarns I use in streamer wings.

This thread has lots of ;potential for new horizons in tying.

Rocco

Joe, the material will absorb water, and sink. If you add some floatant, it will float very well, even if it is pulled under, it will continue to float once doped up.

Does the material float or soak up water?

Joe

Joe, just tied some quick patterns and then tossed them in the pool. They didn't float. As it's nylon i think it will shed water quickly, but can report back after I fish them tomorrow

Joe, the material will absorb water, and sink. If you add some floatant, it will float very well, even if it is pulled under, it will continue to float once doped up.

I'll try doping them up!

Nice! I have a bunch of parador dresses cutoffs from making quite a few lanyards. Now I know why I saved all the little pieces

"Moon over Parador" ... 1988 Richard Dreyfuss Movie

Poopdeck ... do you have a bunch of hispanic dresses you're cutting up for flies? Left over from your younger, burlesque days, perhaps?

Poopdeck are you sure your not a CPO (maybe a yeoman, with the dresses)? frugal and saving everything? Anyway I'm banned from the coffee grinder (wife hates fur and whatever in her coffee) and too cheap to buy another when one in the house works fine. Thanks for the laugh and the tip, maybe paracord won't impart a flavor or off color to her coffee....

Oh great.

After spending more time studying yarn than a middle age man should, now I have to do this. It's a fantastic idea.

Does Ace Hardware sell just a foot of different colors? I've bought paracord for camping and typically it's much longer lengths.

Some do, yes, in Orlando, the one I frequent does, the one over in Titusville, does not. Walmart sells sorter lengths for less than 3.00. The Ace has about 5 or 6 colors, Walmart has more "decorator" color options.

CP, a cardinal rule NEVER to be broken. NEVER ever use the house hold coffee grinder, or blender to make fly tying dubbing. I have purchase both mine at yard sales. I am on my second coffee grinder, and third blender, Currently have two cups that fit the same blender and no motor, looking for a new working motor now.