Fly Tying
RJD31

Flexament alternative?

I don't have any Flexament, and it isn't available locally. Are there any alternatives? Thanks.

Ron

Good Day,

Softex or Plasti_dip. I prefer Plasti-Dip. Same thing as Softex - but half the price. Comes in colors too. Check with local hardware or online at www.quiltershusband.com

Steelie

I use shoo goo.

Thin it out with naptha and it works as good as flexament.

I'm not sure if naptha is another name for toluene?

We had a thread about this last year- Flexament is Shoe-Goo or Goop thinned with toluene. A quart can of toluene at Ace Hardware is about $7, and a tube of Goop is about $5. As long as you have or can get small bottles to store it in, you can have a lifetime supply of Flexament for $12!! Bonus, you can make it whatever consistency you want. Plasti-Dip is also great, I wish I could find the clear stuff locally!

100% silicone caulk thinned with mineral spirits works great, you can vary the thickness, I've had great results on turkey feathers.

Aleene's Flexible Stretchable water based fabric cement. It cures to something vaguely like a rubber band.

NOTE: Aleene makes several fabric cements. Flexible Stretchable is an Aleene brand quite a bit more flexible than the others. All the others.

It's a game changer.

Dave Whitlock (originator of Dave's Flexament) will tell you it is shoo-goo thinned with Toluene. You can use Xylol if Toluene is not available.

Aleene's Flexible Stretchable water based fabric cement. It cures to something vaguely like a rubber band.NOTE: Aleene makes several fabric cements. Flexible Stretchable is an Aleene brand quite a bit more flexible than the others. All the others.It's a game changer.

Thanks for posting.

Wife is picking me up some today.

Will try it on a foam baitfish.

I like that it does not emit harmful fumes.

Hoping it makes a durable & flexible finish.

+1

I just ordered some myself... Amazon prime. $5.37 plus tax, 4 oz. Tired of working with ever-evaporating, industrial grade solutions to hold feathers together. If it works a huge thank you.

Re: Aleene's Flexible Stretchable...

It's water based so easy to clean up. I keep and use some as it comes but I also maintain a second bottle thinned out with water. Which is handy.