Fly Tying
Hardyrod1974

What do you sit on?

Good morning

I'm in the planning/ design stage of my rustic fly tying bench.

I could use some feedback on what works and what doesn't as far as a chair goes before I cut the legs for the bench.

I remember when I was tying commercially back in the 1970's and sitting on a stool at my father's reloading bench and having my neck and upper back getting sore after an hour or so.

I couldn't tell you now what the height of the bench or stool was.

I prefer not to have that happen again.

Thank you in advance.

Flytire's picture is EXACTLY the chairs we have at work !!! It's very comfortable, actually, and adjustable for height.

I sit on a similar one at the bench ... but without arms. I don't like bumping my elbows when I lower my arms, and I don't sit there if I am not tying, so I don't like having arms on it.

I use a similar office chair, only with padded arm rests. The key for me was using a vise extension arm to bring the vise closer to me, so that I don't have to lean forward.

I use a horrible wooden stationary chair that is similar to a kitchen chair. I need to find something a little more comfortable. I can only tell you what you shouldn't use. :-)

I got a High back executive chair with arms that fold up out of the way for Father's day. Love it so far. Though, I never tie for several hours on end.

I use a similar office chair, only with padded arm rests. The key for me was using a vise extension arm to bring the vise closer to me, so that I don't have to lean forward.

The same here.

Kimo

Jdub & Kimo

With the vise extension do you bend your head to look down at the fly with arms down, bent up at elbows? Or do you lift your arms and tie at a level more horizontal to your eyes?

I went at this another way in that when built my tying table I made it 36" tall. Now, using a chair like those picture with adjustable height to 24" I can position my head so there is no look down to the work in the vise. And I can either rest my feet nearly straight down on the floor with my butt on the chair, or bring my feet up onto a resting bar attached to the chair. This flexibllity works against cramping up in any one position.

Rocco

@Rocco

Do you have to raise your arms at the shoulder or can you bend the elbows and raise just your forearms to tie like that? I find raising my arms to tie leads to a link in my neck & shoulders...

I use a Task Chair (swivel chair with no arms). I've adjusted the height to what's comfortable for me. The seat and back have also been adjusted for maximum support and comfort. At my age, I'm not sitting in an uncomfortable chair!