Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Moshup

Any reviews for the Int'l Fly tying symposium ???

I was one of the tyers and it was probably the best attendance in the last 5 years. absolutely a better spot then Lancaster.

Michael

I was there early afternoon Saturday for a couple of hours. This year was MUCH better than last but with that said I think they could still do a little better.

Free parking was good, however it was well attended when I arrived so it took a couple of trips around the lots to find someone leaving so I could take their parking space.

With plenty of people coming out to check out the show, there was still no waiting at the admissions booths, I paid and walked right in.

It might have just been my perception but it seemed to me there were more guys tying this year. I saw plenty of smiling faces with interaction between tiers and attendees. Each booth I stopped at the fellow, or lady, tying was friendly and eager to engage in conversation or explanation. There were plenty of both salt and fresh water tiers to observe and talk to if you so chose. It's a must attend event for the beginner and the accomplished who just enjoy talking fly tying.

There were a few seminars posted but I did not attend any of them and did not see how well attended they were.

The actual venue is still a bit small. With the ballroom full with tiers and a few vendors there were still exhibitors out in the hallway.

There were not many shops selling wares but I did not expect many, as it's not the Edison show.

My suggestions for improvement are few and are based on my failing eyesight and desire to avoid getting stepped on. A larger area with more floor space with better lighting would benefit the event greatly. Aisle room wide enough to accommodate those that want to stop and observe / talk and still allow traffic to pass is sorely needed. Especially when attendees insist on wearing backpacks. The lighting was a bit better than last year but chandelier lighting just doesn’t cut it.

Overall, I thought it was an enjoyable and worthwhile event and I plan on attending again even if held in the same venue.

I was there for several hours on Saturday left about 2:30 to make my way back to Philly. Spent most of the time tying at my club's table. Seemed to be a good steady crowd coming in. I did a walk around inside to stretch my legs. Definitely seemed to be more tyers, stopped and watched a few tie. Checked out the materials that were being sold, but decided to wait till the Fly Fishing show in Edison when there are more dealers selling stuff. Room in the aisles has always been an issue. I've been to the majority of the shows going back to the late 90's before it became the Fly Tying Symposium and there was more space to move around at the early shows, but they didn't have the promotion and the exposure that the Symposium has. Not sure what the solution to the lighting is. I was lucky my club president brought a battery operated lamp I could use when I was tying. Looking forward to the Edison show in January

This was my first year as a tyer at the Symposium. I stayed busy. There was a steady stream of patrons, but it never seemed to be overly crowded. Most of the time, there was someone in front of my table, and I tried to engage, instruct and entertain. That is the art of demonstration tying. I freely admit that I am not the best tyer in the world, (although I am pretty good) but I do enjoy meeting people and I don't get rattled when things don't go right.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to look around too much, so I can't really comment on the variety of vendors. Food was a problem, and there aren't any restaurants nearby. Overall, though, all the tyers I talked to thought it was a pretty good show.

Spent most of Saturday at the Symposium, it was a good turnout and much better than Lancaster last year. Nice venue, I liked the "castle" better than the other locations, easy to get to, free parking, very nice place. The show itself reminded me more of the older symposium more tiers than vendors, good vendors with more tying related material. Did not stay for the banquet can not comment on the food other than the hotel lunch offerings, but I did not expect more than what was there. Vendors provided some high quality materials for both classic and modern fly tying materials including fresh & salt water. Heard some comments about wanting more vendors but I thought they where well represented.