Fly Tying

The Stonfo Elite disc drag bobbin is if not the best fly tying tool I've ever had and the most expensive (Even over my vise which cost me $12) at $21. This bobbin comes in three models Original, Compact, and Saltwater Streamer. This bobbin has a drag system to it so you could have it loose (on small flies) and tight on saltwater flies. I'm wondering what you guys think of this bobbin, and how it compares to the rite bobbin? Tie On!

My hand is the best drag device ever made. Stonfo and rite bobbins aren't even in the same league.

What poopdeck said, and if was going to go a bobbin costing big $$$ it would be the Norvise system with the automatic rewind. And the Stonflo transformer vise is soon going to be on my desk if I could just quit buying rod and reels I never use.

My drag system is squeeze or let my finger work against the thread spool. Most any bobbin will do but my preference is ceramic lined with the nylon or delrin spool bearings.

lol. this dude posts some funny thread topics.

I love my C&F bobbin holders. I have three of them. No drag disks needed. Your hands are the best tools you will ever have.

The Stonfo Elite disc drag bobbin is if not the best fly tying tool I've ever had and the most expensive (Even over my vise which cost me $12) at $21. This bobbin comes in three models Original, Compact, and Saltwater Streamer. This bobbin has a drag system to it so you could have it loose (on small flies) and tight on saltwater flies. I'm wondering what you guys think of this bobbin, and how it compares to the rite bobbin? Tie On!

It's decent... The drag system always either self tightens or self loosens based on the direction the thread is spinning. That is a non starter for me for sure. The Rite bobbin drag system is far superior.

The problem with these bobbins is that they only have one arm going to the thread which makes them unbalanced. It's impossible to spin the thread without it wobbling something fierce.

The problem with these bobbins is that they only have one arm going to the thread which makes them unbalanced. It's impossible to spin the thread without it wobbling something fierce.

That's my problem with them also.

The "new" Tiemco bobbin(magnetic tension control) that retails for $100 is also made the same way.

You just can't spin it because it is unbalanced.

The new Tiemco bobbin that retails for $60 has the double arm and you can adjust the

length of the tube is nice but has no tension control.

Kimo

deerhairdan! Do you put 200d through your c&f bobbin holder & which model? Just wondering!

Nope I use the el-cheapo Griffin bobbin holders for gel spun. Ive destroyed two Rite and one Stonfo using GSP....they cant handle the pressure. If the Griffin breaks (Which it hasent yet, in almost a year) I can replace it for basically no loss.

You may get along with it, but I find them a PITA! The problem is thread twist. To tie well you need to control the amount of twist in the thread. To do this you spin the bobbin. Bobbins that are not balanced don't spin well. Yes you can steady the spin by placing a finger along side the tube, but that slows the spin, and therefore, the tying process as a whole. Until last Saturday I had not found a bobbin with adjustable tension that was perfectly balanced. The Petitjean was close but the adjustment slide crude by comparison to the Rite or Stonefo. Then last Saturday morning, at Fly Fest in Cumbria, I discovered the new Tiemco magnetic clutch bobbin. The clutch is one way only, so if you tighten it down you are not fighting the tension to wind thread back on to the spool.

I bought one Saturday morning, and tied with it all day at the show. I was so impressed I bought another Sunday morning. Once I have had time to play around with them some more I will do a review. Yes I know they are a lot of money, but they seem to offer a genuine advantage without the drawbacks of others. You can tell I am impressed, I haven't bought a bobbin holder in well over 10 years. I may even buy more at the Irish Fly Fair next month.

Cheers,

C.

You may get along with it, but I find them a PITA! The problem is thread twist. To tie well you need to control the amount of twist in the thread. To do this you spin the bobbin. Bobbins that are not balanced don't spin well. Yes you can steady the spin by placing a finger along side the tube, but that slows the spin, and therefore, the tying process as a whole. Until last Saturday I had not found a bobbin with adjustable tension that was perfectly balanced. The Petitjean was close but the adjustment slide crude by comparison to the Rite or Stonefo. Then last Saturday morning, at Fly Fest in Cumbria, I discovered the new Tiemco magnetic clutch bobbin. The clutch is one way only, so if you tighten it down you are not fighting the tension to wind thread back on to the spool.

I bought one Saturday morning, and tied with it all day at the show. I was so impressed I bought another Sunday morning. Once I have had time to play around with them some more I will do a review. Yes I know they are a lot of money, but they seem to offer a genuine advantage without the drawbacks of others. You can tell I am impressed, I haven't bought a bobbin holder in well over 10 years. I may even buy more at the Irish Fly Fair next month.

Cheers,

C.

I look forward to your review.

I have one also, it wobbled quite a bit for me.

The difference for me was that I was using it

to create a brush using the split thread method.

I'm going to have to go back and try it again.

Have to say the magnetic clutch is ingenious.

Thanks Crackaig!

Kimo

WAY OFF SUBJECT.....

Poopdeck,

Is that a Stanley #60 double spoke shave in you picture? I looks like you were making a hammer handle.

Sorry 'bout that,

I have to agree with L.B. I just received a couple of these before my last swap. I really enjoyed how it felt in my hand. Only one thing I need to get used to is not using my little finger as a break and not to use it to roll up my thread. I keep loosening the tension knob doing that. As for being out of balance when I spin it, I do this very little so what wobble there is is not a big concern. JMO

Michael