Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Reel Assassin

Old Dog Learning a New Trick

Greetings everyone, I'm an old fart (69) trying to learn something new since I can never find what I am looking for from catalogs and even on the internet. I'm a spin fisherman not a fly fisherman though I came close to getting into saltwater fly fishing once when I lived on the Gulf Coast of Texas. I'm wanting to learn how to tie my own flies for my Float-N-Fly rigs as well as hair jigs for bass fishing.

I started pouring and tying bucktails and teasers when I was a teenager. Good thing to since the price of a bucktail is obscene these days. Once you start tying them you will laugh at those who sell "custom hand tied" bucktails/jigs for 6 bucks, 50 cents extra if you want flash. There is nothing easier on this planet then tying jigs. Welcome.

You're at the right place, Reel. Welcome to the site.

There are plenty of ways to start tying ... but I recommend spending some time learning the basics:

1. Thread control. Starting, tension and tying off.

2. Applying materials. learn how the different materials you have react to capturing and tightening down with the thread.

3. Tie simple flies first ... even if you don't plan on fishing them. You can cut the material off with a razor blade. Tying the simple flies will get your hands used to using the bobbin holder, threads and materials.

Good luck !!!

Yes, at 69 I am a TOTAL novice. I spent most of my fishing career down just on the mainland from Galveston Island, TX. My wife and I had a stilt house on a canal with a 21ft. Gulf Coast low side boat in a boat lift in Bayou Vista that led out to West Bay. I was pretty much a Redfish addict and participated in area saltwater tournaments. After I retired my wife and I bought a small mom&pop canoe and kayak resort on the North Fork of the Spring River just south of Mammoth Springs, Arkansas. We are fully retired now and living just south of Castaic Lake north of Los Angeles, CA to be near our youngest grand-children. I just bought my first fly tying book so now I will be looking for what equipment to buy to start with.

My one regret is not taking advantage of getting Fox Statler to teach me how to tie back when I lived in north Arkansas and we worked together.