Fly Tying
Charlie1947

Has anyone used or tyed a mop fly?

Ive seen mentioned and pictures of a mop fly? Has anyone used or tyed a mop fly and what was your experience? If you have tyed them what sizes and colors worked best? Thanks for your help?

Very Kind Regards,

Charlie1947

I have seen the mops and understand the concept. Never have drank the Kool-Aid. Not saying I may not do it some day. But there are several how-to's on the YouTube. I have seen a few nice ones here in various posts.

Lotta people go nuts over them I tried them. The big ones cause missed strikes for me and I found myself snipping them off. There are some small ones around that work better for me. Bream was a problem bass flies with them prolly no problem. For me other options. The big ones do get soggy. Here's some small ones.

IMG-5197.png

IMG-2125.png

my best mops are tied on a 1/64 jighead or beadhead blue has been my best color . if small to med gills are around use a shorter tail .

Lotta people go nuts over them I tried them. The big ones cause missed strikes for me and I found myself snipping them off. There are some small ones around that work better for me. Bream was a problem bass flies with them prolly no problem. For me other options. The big ones do get soggy. Here's some small ones.

IMG-5197.png

IMG-2125.png

Thanks so much! The first set appear to be tyed on dry fly hooks, the second set on scud hooks, correct? What sizes?

I love fishing ultralight, 2wt up to 4wt. The first set look light great panfish flies! I really appreciate you!

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=85583

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=86066&page=1

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=86612

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=84369

After reading some of the above and some other stuff, I finally found a mop or two and tied a few I also found a couple at the trout park, colors that never got a look at by trout, sunfish, or brown bass are green/chanteuse, pink, and grayish. I tried some mega worms at about the same time that got lots of short strikes but not hookups.

for gills keep the tail to the size of the hook gap. for crappie go longer you can also taper the tails over aflame but do it slowly

Charlie, size 12 on the giant caddis pupas but I use lotta unconventional hooks like the bait hooks, salmon egg hooks that I run across. Daiichi most of em... size 8,10 mostly, few 14...

IMG-6076.jpg

I've definitely tied them. Here's some pictures of fish I caught in the Poconos last May. This year's trip is a month off. Hoping for a repeat performance.

post-309-0-30129800-1556335564_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-38535700-1556335653_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-31824400-1556335684_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-06066900-1556335709_thumb.jpg

I'm going to rework some of my mini-mop flies following denduke's lead, replacing the sparkle chenille, with peacock herl and soft hackles.

This what my trout/pan fish box looked like last year. They're tied on size 10 hooks

post-309-0-22339400-1556336411_thumb.jpg

and my pan fish/bass box. These are tied on hooks ranging from size 8 to size 4.

post-309-0-70033000-1556336433_thumb.jpg

I had a very close call with them. Mike, who I most often fish with, wanted to try them. I went to the local hardware store to get some various coloured mops to use on the flies. However, the ones they had said they were "dusters" not "mops". So it is sorry Mike, they didn't have any mops (and I've been told dusters do not make good flies).

wink.png

Cheers,

C.

Actually, the dust mops make decent flies. The one advantage they have over the mops most of us use is that they can be dyed. Unlike the mitt mops which are designed to suck up water and release it, the dust mops will hold dye. Unfortunately, they don't make them in white. The mop bath mats which you can find in white, will hold dye but they come out in pastel shades. If you look at the first row in the bottom picture in my post. Most of them are either mop pieces from a bath mat or a dust mop.

Philly, I tie more flies for Mike than I do for myself. You are now removing a well crafted excuse to not tie him even more. The other week it was Butcher wet flies he wanted. I asked which variation? All of them, of course, was his reply. I ended up having to tie 5 dozen for him. Now you are showing him a vast array of mop flies and you are destroying my excuse. Have some compassion, please.

wink.png

Cheers,

C.

Edit: Looking back I have formulated a new excuse. No I'm not telling you what it is this time!

C.

In line with the mindful meditation classes I've been taking, Crackaig, I will try and be more mindful and not open additional cans of worms, or mops. Maybe.

Ive only been tying them and fishing them for maybe two years.

Bream tear them up, But of course Bream will eat just about anything so thats not saying much.

I have also caught quite a few Crappie on them.

Ive never trout fished with them and never caught a bass on one but I guarantee they will work on bass.

Want some ideas check this Facebook page out.

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1779872679004416&ref=content_filter

I just finished tying up a couple dozen on them in varying color combinations. Some I tied with hackles, some with dubbing for the head. I am going to try them out tomorrow and see how they do on Bream and Bass.