Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

Image hosting sites

Hi all,

I'm looking for a "free" image hosting site and am hoping you folks may have some suggestions. It would be nice to be able to share some images with the board again. I had pisca years ago but it shut down. There are some things that are just non starters for me. Mostly because of privacy and legal. Here is what I am trying to avoid:

Cost, as in no monetary input, I realize that I may well be marketed to while using the site which is a form of payment.

I would prefer to not to need an "account" but that might not be a deal breaker.

Absolutely no auto uploading of images from my equipment. I don't want some other computer rooting through mine. I sometimes have proprietary work data/images on my systems, the kind that you can get sued by a whole platoon of corporate lawyers. I don't trust companies that give you a choice "today" because that may change to a must opt out system down the road. I want a service that doesn't offer it at all.

Time limited hosting. It seem like a bunch of services will delete your images if they have not been accessed after a while (as little as 90 days for some). It's rather frustrating when you do a web search and find an old post or article somewhere and the images are gone because they expired. Of course the image host can go belly up but that can't be controlled.

I don't like AI systems that try to "help" you by organizing your stuff for you.

I'd rather not have to download an app but that might not be avoidable.

So far I'm looking at two sites, Free Image Hosting and Post Image.

Kind of a big ask on my part so thanks in advance.

Swamp

P.S. Yes I know that real web privacy is an illusion unless you go to extremes, but there's not reason to not keep it down to a mild roar.

Absolutely no auto uploading of images from my equipment. I don't want some other computer rooting through mine. I sometimes have proprietary work data/i

Is that what happens when a site like this one has direct upload/embed/whatever from my machine?

It says;

"Attach Files

Browse

Attach this file"

Lower left corner of the reply box. I really don't know how any of this stuff works, thanks.

fwiw, some folks really like imgur, I haven't used it so just hearsay.

Absolutely no auto uploading of images from my equipment. I don't want some other computer rooting through mine. I sometimes have proprietary work data/images on my systems, the kind that you can get sued by a whole platoon of corporate lawyers. I don't trust companies that give you a choice "today" because that may change to a must opt out system down the road. I want a service that doesn't offer it at all.

I'm a little lost here. Maybe I am missing something? But if you don't want to upload a picture from your devices, then how do you plan to get the picture from your device to the hosting site?

I don't know about photo storage sites. But I do know that if you're loading your pictures onto this site, like I do, there is a limited amount of space. It takes a lot, but you will eventually get to a point that you can't load more.

You have to go into "My Media" and delete photos to upload new ones.

i use absolutely free post image and have no problems. no app needed on your home comptuer or for any other device for that matter. you can still access post image from a cell phone

i control all my images on post image. never had an image deleted. i doubt photo hosting sites willy nilly delete photos

if your worried about security and privacy why are you on the internet? google knows more about you than you do :)

you should have all of your proprietory data on a seperate portable hard drive and not on your computers hard drive

Guess I wasn't very clear about what I meant by auto upload. Some of the services I have looked at tout automatic uploading of all your images, as in if it's on your computer they will find it and upload it automatically for you. While I have not dealt with this on the web itself some of the software that came bundled on my computer basically found every image on my computer and then imported them into it's own file system whether I wanted that or not. I spent many hours undoing that. That was an eye opening event. If I ask a site to upload particular images then yes auto resizing etc. is welcome, but I want control over what gets uploaded and when.

Mike, yup that does work. I'd rather not start creating dead links in old posts (and not just here) when I run out of space and have to delete old photos.

Free Image Post is one of the services that caught my eye, good to know it works well. Oh yes Google/Facebook etc. have more info on us than any government, oh wait that IS where governments are getting real time information now days... I do try to keep work related things on my work only devices but the line gets somewhat blurry at times. I just don't want images uploaded without my express permission. The generation that is coming into adulthood now has never had real privacy. Their whole lives are there to read like an open book, I hope it doesn't bite them in the butt down the road. When Suzy is up for that CEO job later in life I hope those pictures from Spring Break don't surface. Johnny might get canned if that offhand comment he posted 30 years ago is taken out of context. I don't understand why people want to share the minutia of their lives online, never will, I just don't care if someone have the vapors last night. I suppose they don't understand why I won't share all that stuff. Sort of like why I use a screen name on the open forum and use my given name in private messages. So yeah you are right I really should be using a TOR sever etc. for surfing the web and I might set one up sometime. In the meantime I just want to control what I reasonably can.

Wow that was a tangent on my part LOL, sorry.

Swamp

Okay I see what you mean now. To be honest I have never seen that though. Not sure if it's because my computer is about 5 yrs old, or the fact that I'm very old fashioned and don't use cell phones/mobile devices, but that auto upload thing is a new one on me, haven't seen that first hand.

Their whole lives are there to read like an open book, I hope it doesn't bite them in the butt down the road. When Suzy is up for that CEO job later in life I hope those pictures from Spring Break don't surface. Johnny might get canned if that offhand comment he posted 30 years ago is taken out of context.

Didn't take the internet for that to happen. Look at some of the political candidates and appointees over the last decade or so. Some are in their 40s and 50s and college photos and girlfriends suddenly pop out of the woodwork to ruin 20+ years of good deeds and service.

My fishing videos will probably prevent me from being president some day.

I can see it now: "You think the current president's golfing is taking a lot of time? If you elect Mike, you'll have to spend time on the water with him to get anything done !!!"

Honestly I think Orwell would be horrified...

I know I'm probably overly cautious, but I to me it's like leaving your front door wide open with a cold beer and a wad of cash sitting on the table in full view. Someone is just going to disapoint you. The fact is if someone really wants inside they can do it with enough drive and time, working in the vault/safe industry taught me that. No such thing as burglary proof. I just don't see any reason to make it easy.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll get all of this settle in short order and then post up some flies. Right now I've got it down to two choices so I'll dig in and figure it out.

Swamp

P.S. Mike, one person says that stopped them from doing more good, the next says it stopped them from doing more harm! LOL I'm so glad I've never had the slightest interest in a political career, the stink of it makes me ill on the best of days.

"If you elect Mike, you'll have to spend time on the water with him to get anything done !!!"

That'd get my vote!

Mike, I would rather spend time on the water with you (or anyone else,) than Golf with anybody.

Mike's campaign slogan..... "Vote blue he's the right choice for you!"

Oh SNAP!

I'm grabbing popcorn...

Actually Mike can't get elected, he isn't elitist enough. He uses BOTH fly and conventional gear, can't have that in today's political climate.

Swamp

They won't elect me. Once they heard I want to change "The Red, White and Blue" to "Blue, Blue and Blue" ... I think my campaign would be over.