Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Mesh tubing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:26 PM

Tried some. Kinda stiff, oh well....
Mardi Gras?
IMG-5560.jpg
Candy w/teeth?
IMG-5558.jpg
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I'm Mr Freezemieser I'm Mr Snow!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,037 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:04 AM

That looks like the same stuff I used from Dollar Tree.

Braided tube fly 7.jpg

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

I've picked up similar stuff at the craft store.   They had chartreuse and pearl.  My only problem with it was I couldn't shape it like I can with the fly fishing related tubing.  I 

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#4 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:06 PM

Got the flex cord light 3/8" from DD so made some bigger ones. Lots softer but still tricky getting the sheet foam in to increase buoyancy so they suspend.
IMG-5526.jpg
Oops had wrong pic copied. I'm obsessed with finding BigDaddyO in the daytime. Frustrating.
IMG-5572.jpg
IMG-5573.jpg

http://www.flytyingf...980#entry735140
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#5 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

Nice. I posted this one up in the January flies.  In this case I wrapped the foam around the hook and the mesh is sealed with sili skin and a light coat of UV resin.

Attached File  P1310349.JPG   77.24KB   2 downloads

One way to build the foam body up is to tie strips of foam to the hook shank.  Or you can use a body similar to a crease fly since it will be under the tubing you can trim it to shape so you don't have that squared off look you get with the Crease fly. 

Another thing I do is to use a bit of super glue on the bottom.  I'll either squeeze it with flat pliers or use a metal paper clamp to narrow the "belly" to give the body a tapered shape.  I guess it also acts as a keel and keeps the fly floating horizontal.  I also do the same thing with the foam on my Crease flies.  Just use a thin super glue and clamp it and the glue is absorbed in the foam.  I think you can see the taper on this one.

Attached File  PC240098 (2).JPG   28.09KB   1 downloads

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#6 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:09 PM

Got the flex cord light 3/8" from DD so made some bigger ones. Lots softer but still tricky getting the sheet foam in to increase buoyancy so they suspend.

Oops had wrong pic copied. I'm obsessed with finding BigDaddyO in the daytime. Frustrating.

http://www.flytyingf...980#entry735140

Real nice stuff on this post denduke, and from December which I somehow missed. 
Great tip to use a tube for something to tie to.

#7 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 05:56 PM

Hit DollarTree for some flex coil stuff and some plastic stickers maybe for eyes....
IMG-5935.jpg

IMG-5934.jpg

#8 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

Few more flex cords. Last one stuck the yellow up in the blue.
IMG-6144.jpg