Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bluegill wont bite

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 panfishweird

panfishweird

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:27 PM

I can catch bluegill very very easy on live baits or lures like jigs but i cant get them with a fly. I tried a popper and dry flys my own flys wet flys tons of kinds and no luck.

I tried foam bugs to with long and short legs 3 different colors never one bite...

Whats the problem? The water I fish in is stained / kind of muddy... Not VERY bad though.

Is there something I can do to make them bite?

Oh and i'm fishing in a lake, tried in a pound too and still nothing ( same color water ) I live in texas and all the lakes by me are muddy or stained

#2 JoeBillingsley

JoeBillingsley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

Where in Texas are you?
Joe

#3 Teioneon

Teioneon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

You might want to let the water clear a little first but if impatient, start with dark colors.

I would try some nymphs. Hares ear or a Pheasent tail. Preferably with some soft hackle.

The water in a local pond here was pretty cold last Wednesday and a size 16 red zebra midge worked for me on a few fish.

Prince nymphs and scuds also do well. Once in awhile, a size 14 beadbead olive bugger.

Keep an eye out for water temps since the lower temps slow metabolism, which means smaller is usually best.

Also, look for ants. If there are any trees over the water on your preferred pond, a few ants might work.

Start with smaller size flies and work your way up and start with slow hand twist retrieves.

With summer coming up fast, hoppers and crickets have been known to work wonders in lots of places, so having some tied or bought by then is a good idea also.IPB Image
Size 14 2x long dry fly hook.

Experiment is the key.

Good luck!
Bob and Tom..the two biggest boobs on the radio!

#4 panfishweird

panfishweird

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:13 PM

I have already tried almost the exact fly... and in many colors. I have been trying for weeks not just recently... in all weather types.. And the water here is always ugly lol never really clear.

I have tried throwing grasshopper in the water beetles crickets, they wont even come to the top for them... i tried that a long time ago

#5 millerwb

millerwb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:08 PM

Where in Texas are you? I am in Bryan/College Station and the weather here has been reall wierd over the past few weeks which might have messed with the fish.

I also have good results with a sz. 12 Damsel Nymph. Soft hackle flies are good as well.

Brian in Bryan