Fly Tying
Joshpilon08

Looking for panfish ideas

With summer being right around the corner, and a low in work and other activities for me. I was looking to tie a bunch of panfish flies. Im looking for 8 or 10 different patterns outside of the Chernobyl ant and beetle patterns. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Joshpilon08

My "Panfish Attractor"
Panfish attractor.jpg
Aug 2017 Panfish Attractors (1).JPG
size 8 straight shank hook
Bead chain eyes
Pink or light tan thread
Tail: a few strands of flash
Body: light tan fine dubbing (not picked out)
Wing: I use raccoon tail, because it doesn't flatten out when wet. The wing actually helps to make it weed "resistant".

Any thing that will catch bass, crappie, or trout will also catch some sunfish.

You want simple, wrap hook in chenile and palmer a hackle. Vary the size of chenile and density of palmer can make a dozen or so unweighted "patterns" then weight some with lead under the chenile and/or a a bead/cone/chain bead for a couple dozen more variations. Change colors of chenile and hackle for fifty-eleven more.Contrast three bands; yellow-black-yelow with either fore&aft or palmer hackle.(grizzly, coachman or black)

Want more durable, Tap's Bug in all the color combos you like or like mine in deer hair color. Plus add some rubber legs to the basic Tap's or tie a couple saddles in for tails before building the hair body.

All white or all yellow #6 marabou crappie jigs will get them bigguns out from under a deep rock.

I just bought my first ever car mop in chartreuse that I intend to thread on like a worm and hackle like a wet fly or spider.

Adams makes a generic dry in maybe #10, as does any mosquito or crane fly pattern.

And yes the hated woolly bugger gets hung up on sun fish as often as not. With an olive woolly bugger and a Black Hackle I could maybe fish all summer. Those spider patterns can fish either dry or wet

Clousers and hair streamers like Mikey Finn, any nymph or grub,...

A few thoughts from out of left field....

MikeChell's panfish attractor... would make a great bonefish fly...

Lastly - panfish... make great live bait...

Lookup the Bully Spider. One of my retired fishing buddies swears by them. It's what he ties on when he takes someone with him who has never fly fished.

#10 Briminator seems to catch even when they ain't bitin*. Tied using parts of one pheasant cathedral feather. This one's the last in my box, and it's taken a beating.

post-52832-0-07211300-1525468228_thumb.jpg post-52832-0-05852800-1525468472_thumb.jpg

Olive krystal buggers work very well.

#10 gurglers in various colors. Black and white work.

post-52832-0-21283700-1525468579_thumb.jpg