Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hello from Missouri

14 replies to this topic

#1 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:59 PM

Hi, everyone.

I've been lurking for a while and just recently started posting. Figured it would be a good time to introduce myself. I live in northwest Missouri and have been fishing for as long as I can remember, always with conventional tackle. Started fly fishing and tying this summer. Fishing has never been as much fun. 

I fish and will be tying mostly for largemouth bass but I've been playing with the trout in a local urban stocking program pond in town. I'm looking forward to chasing carp when the weather finally warms up again.

Thanks for all the great work on the site. I've learned so much already and look forward to more.

Cheers,
David

Tight lines,
David

#2 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Whatever you want to learn about tying, someone here will show-you! :)
Bimini15

#3 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

Welcome, Show me State, fly fisher.. post photos of some big bass and carp whenever you wish, flies, too.
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#4 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:13 PM

Welcome to the forum David.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#5 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:27 PM

Welcome. You will learn that catching carp on a fly rod is far more challenging then twout.

#6 bellevue.chartreuse.trout

bellevue.chartreuse.trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:11 PM

Flanagan..... welcome to the 'site'.

Carp.... is there any Mulberry trees along the stretch of stream or river or lake that you fish? Tie mulberry flies if so. When they start changing color... fish the mixed color wine red purplish color... then the purple and black sort... you should have some success.

BCT

#7 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:08 PM

dflanagan, whereabouts in NW Missouri? I was born and raised in Mexico (MO) myself; same general area. As a matter of fact, I just arrived back from a visit there a few hours ago (I'm transplanted to Michigan since 1997). :)

Anyway welcome aboard! This forum is home to some really great people.

Looking forward to seeing some of the waters you fish, the fish you pull out of them and the flies you catch them on!

Bryon

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#8 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,150 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:27 AM

Welcome to the site, dflanagan.  

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#9 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the welcome, everybody.

Bryon, I'm up north of Kansas City. Been out near Mexico a few times. Nice part of the state.
Tight lines,
David

#10 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 06:03 PM

David,

Welcome from another David from Missouri.  I live in Mexico,Mo like Bryon although I am originally from Fulton ,MO.

Dave

#11 Whiteh20

Whiteh20

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

Welcome David, I am originally from NW MO. as well. Maysville

Good luck with the bass and carp!

#12 newbie@this

newbie@this

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

Welcome David!  I live in Blue Springs, about 10 minutes away from Blue Springs Lake and Lake Jacomo.  Lots of bass in Jacomo and lots of carp in Blue Springs Lake.  Also tons of gar.

#13 uncletube57

uncletube57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

Welcome David . Glad to have you aboard. I have a close friend that lives near Gallatin he tells me the bass fishin is pretty good up in that part of the Show me state

This part is for Byron Anderson,I live in Auxvasse and went to Davis Hart technical school in Mexico when I was in high school. By the way do you fish the fall salmon run in Michigan? I have been up to the Pierre Marquette near Baldwin a few years back and had a blast!!

Tight lines and drag free drifts always,

Tubebiggrin.png biggrin.png

" Who are you trying to jive with that cosmic debris?" Frank Zappa

" Steel on target!!" Charles Wernau SFC U.S. Army

#14 dflanagan

dflanagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:37 PM

Cheers, uncletube. Glad to see some more folks from MO here. Yeah, largemouth bass fishing is pretty good up north. But the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence; I dream about south Missouri smallies. :D
Tight lines,
David

#15 uncletube57

uncletube57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:54 AM

dflanagan I hate to stir the pot but, a friend of mine is camping on the Niangua right outside of Bennett spring state park and texted me that he caught two very nice bronze backs and several dinks this morning.  On clouser minnows. Just up river from where the spring runs into the river.

Tube 

" Who are you trying to jive with that cosmic debris?" Frank Zappa

" Steel on target!!" Charles Wernau SFC U.S. Army

Reply to this topic