Fly Tying
TheLastCall

Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada

Hey guys and gals,

I'm a 31 yo just starting to get into fly tying and fly fishing. I've been fishing with spinning gear since my child hood, less now that I have 2 kids under 2. I've always wanted to try fly fishing but never got around to it. I'm starting with fly tying before fly fishing (opposite of most), I'm doing it this way because I can do it at home when kids are having a nap or at night. Hoppefully by next spring I'll be all geared up to go fly fishing and the kids will be a little older so it will be easier for my wife to handle them both.

I've picked up a few book about fly tying - Orvis 101 tips, fly tying bible and just pre ordered essential trout flie. This site and YouTube have also been really useful to figure things out.

I've already made the mistake of ordering a cheap vise but it's too late to return it. I figure it's good enough to get me started and I will likely upgrade later.

I generally target trout as most of the lakes are Stocked here and I have a couple amazing rivers I also fish. I also fish for mackerel as the ocean is just down the street.

Looking forward to asking ridiculous questions that have likely been asked and answered many times.

Cheers

Welcome!

"Looking forward to asking ridiculous questions that have likely been asked and answered many times."

You do have some understanding of how things work, don't you?

I bet most of us began on a cheap vise. Any vise is good enough on which to learn. Welcome to the site. Very nice and helpful people are here. there are no dumb questions so ask away.

Welcome!

"Looking forward to asking ridiculous questions that have likely been asked and answered many times."

I've been following and reading previous post on the forum for the past month, so I have a good ideal of how things work.

Welcome!

I've been following and reading previous post on the forum for the past month, so I have a good ideal of how things work.

Tiers with a good sense of humor help keep this site worth visiting.

Welcome!

Tiers with a good sense of humor help keep this site worth visiting.

That's great, don't worry I don't take anything to heart. Looking forward to picking your brains and tying lots.

Cheers

Welcome Lastcall I've spent a lot of time in NS mainly Cheticamp and rivers and lakes around Cape Breton, great place and people. I started tying bucktails and mackerel flies as a kid. Still visit NS and PEI in the summer glad to have you as a fellow tier.

Thanks.

I'm down in the Halifax area. I love the Cheticamp area, we use to go camping in the highlands every summer as a kid, such a nice area. I haven't been in awhile, I hope to bring my boys up there one summer.