Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Demo/ Test Flies

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FeatherandFly

FeatherandFly

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:01 PM

I am needing 6-10 people to test a bass streamer for me.  I have 4 kids 5 and under so my fly rod is not going to see the light of day for a while. I will tie 2 colors a fire tiger and a shad color, they will be tied on a #1 B10s hook unless another size is requested.  I am including a picture of them below.  Thanks, guys these have caught some fish for me, but I am looking for feedback good, bad, or indifferent.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lee Blanton

DSC_0019.JPG DSC_E0026.JPG

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,753 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:48 PM

I'd go for it, except I can't even convince myself to fish my OWN bass sized flies for more than a few minutes.  Being sure to put yours through the paces ... I don't think I'd do you justice.

Might be a few bass anglers on here that will take you up ... but since most of these guys tie their own ... ?

Good luck.  I hope you get some "beta testers" going for it.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 FeatherandFly

FeatherandFly

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:53 PM

I was hoping some would give it a test, tyers give more accurate and better feedback than those that just fish.  

#4 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

Not sure I understand what you are looking for. Those flies will catch fish, the white may work better than the green. They will catch more fish if you fish them more. About anything in that size and shape will catch bass if fished where bass are. I think.

Like he said, I wouldn't use them enough to tell a lot more than I can by looking the picture.

Is there some innovation that I'm missing?

Is it a new material you are trying?

Local fishing club near you? or an access where you can spend  a  few minutes at time making new friends by passing out samples and your numbers?

#5 FeatherandFly

FeatherandFly

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:21 PM

The Wing is Alpaca fibre, i haven't used it much, durability and movement I have no doubt it will catch fish,  there is a local club here but I don't trust many of them to give me quality feedback.  They just want free flies.

#6 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

Guys, help a brother out and test some flies for him!! Even if you enjoy tying as much as I do, I always enjoy trying new patterns especially if someone is asking me to

I'll happy to throw some of those. We have a decent largemouth population, but I know that the firetiger scheme will crush peacock bass (I'm in Miami).

Flats

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#7 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:03 PM

I'll test a couple out for you

#8 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

I would test a couple.

Rick

#9 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:52 PM

The Wing is Alpaca fibre, i haven't used it much, durability and movement I have no doubt it will catch fish,  there is a local club here but I don't trust many of them to give me quality feedback.  They just want free flies.

Gotcha, the little fishing I get into these days is either jigs or smaller panfish stuff. A test for durability from me might take several years... My prediction though is the alpaca will be good-great in both areas. Sure looks nice.

#10 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,753 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:29 PM

I am assuming, Lee, that the people agreeing to test some flies for you have PM'd you their address to send them to.

For anyone interested in beta testing ... PM FeatherandFly, so he'll know where to send.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#11 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:41 PM

I have so many flies of my own and from swaps I really would never get those in the water enough to give a good evaluation against anything else. I will say, fire tiger has always been a good bass color and white is going to work well in shad lakes. Other than that I really don't know how you make a true evaluation. Good luck though and darn nice looking flies.

#12 caloosa bug

caloosa bug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:31 AM

I'd be happy to try them out and let you know what I think.  Pm on the way.

#13 FeatherandFly

FeatherandFly

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

Ill get with everyone as soon as I can we have a sick baby it might be a day or two.

#14 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:50 PM

Ok I'll pm you my address good luck with the sick baby that's no fun.

#15 FeatherandFly

FeatherandFly

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

Ok All is well again, it turned from one sick baby to the whole family of 6 being sick.  We are all well again.