Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

How did I do with this standing shrimp?

Sort of non beard related. A photo of the fly posted here would be nice. Also it's advisable to start off the video with a still shot of the completed fly. Check out this thread on making good fly tying videos if you haven't already. And keep posting! http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75475&page=1

Sort of non beard related. A photo of the fly posted here would be nice. Also it's advisable to start off the video with a still shot of the completed fly. Check out this thread on making good fly tying videos if you haven't already. And keep posting! http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75475&page=1

Thanks for the advice! a photo of the fly on the video is a wonderful idea, I will do this from now on. I've still got a few vids I've already made that I'll be posting, but for any new ones, I'll add this for sure. As for the photo posted here, it won't let me... I've tried many times. It keeps saying I'm not authorized...

Other than this though, what did you think of the fly?

Very nice fly. I really like how the eyes can essentially double as a weed guard

Looks like a great shrimp. I'd add some marabou or soft hackle somewhere, make the colors more subdued and fish it for carp and smallmouth all day.

Very nice fly. I really like how the eyes can essentially double as a weed guard

Thanks! :).

Also don't worry about offending me if you think I should've done something different. I'm always open to constructive criticism.

So is this why people are commenting about my beard? Because that one guy that ranted about his pet peeves on fly tying vids? Haha. That he thinks POV is better than looking at the person and their chin/beard? Many of the most popular vids on YouTube for fly tying are of just that... Someone's chin, and them talking. Lol Is this really a determining factor for you guys on if you enjoy a video?

Honestly ... I have a problem seeing what you're doing because of the background.

I really don't like beards ... but the the beard makes for movement and coloration that is a terrible background for the fly tying.

I haven't been able to watch any of your videos because of it.

As for a picture, I like that idea (on a neutral background), because I also haven't been able to comment on any of the flies because you don't have any pictures of the finished flies. I clicked near the end of this video, and as soon as you finish the fly, you take it off the vise and put it aside ... I didn't get a good look at it then, either.

Honestly ... I have a problem seeing what you're doing because of the background.

I really don't like beards ... but the the beard makes for movement and coloration that is a terrible background for the fly tying.

I haven't been able to watch any of your videos because of it.

As for a picture, I like that idea (on a neutral background), because I also haven't been able to comment on any of the flies because you don't have any pictures of the finished flies. I clicked near the end of this video, and as soon as you finish the fly, you take it off the vise and put it aside ... I didn't get a good look at it then, either.

LOL, you are funny! I think I will wear a blue screen mask, and layer in this photo just for you. Give you nightmares! HAHA Those big scary beards!

In reality, my new video's are better shot. This is an older video I made a few months ago. My new ones blur out my background quite a bit. Check out the video called "Mc. Bunker" I posted it in another section I think. I will find it and post it here. tell me if the beard washes out the video. Cause that is shot with better lighting, and I blur out the background a bit. The fly stands out really well in that video. I finally got a real camcorder instead of shooting with my phone. We all have to start somewhere right? If that looks better, please tell me. If not, also please tell me. I want to make good video's. I appreciate the feedback. Including your fear of beards... HAHA

Also, for youtube, when you are searching on youtube, there is a thumbnail that shows. I do post the picture there, but because its not "imbedded" here, you don't see that. I know now for future video's. I haven't made one in a few days due to having the flu. I will make sure and add a picture of the finished fly in the beginning really quick. And from now on (apparently the picture thing is working for me now) try to post up a pic of the fly as well. However when I am doing it from my phone it won't let me post a pic... :( Usually I do this at 6:00AM when I am still laying in bed. I don't have my computer close, so I just post the video. I guess I will have to wait till I get up a little after...

post-58316-0-62676900-1455042796_thumb.jpg

i dont do saltwater flies but the fly looks ok

have you ever accidentally tied your beard into one of your flies? :)

if the videos were shot at a different angle, that might be a little better

Since you keep bringing up crap about my revulsion of beards ... "Those big scary beards!" ... let me explain.

Brother-in-law ... with a beard. His breakfast/lunch/dinner would be in his beard for hours. Gross.

Would take a drink of milk or tea, then suck what was on his mustache off. Even more gross.

There are those that have a big truck to compensate for a certain physical "deficiency". I have no need of a big truck. Nor do I need any other vehicle to define my personality.

I also don't need facial hair to "define" my masculinity. Beards don't "scare" me, nor do they don't intimidate me.

What beards do, is nauseate me. All I see is people sucking milk out of mustaches ... snot getting congealed in mustaches ... dried up or festering food particles caught in beards. As far as I am concerned, the main reason for a beard is that the face under the beard is too ugly to be exposed.

Just sayin' ...

I like the fly.I think if it were tied in a dark orange or olive it would be a killer carp fly.I liked the video also.The beard did not factor in or bother me.I can see where it would be distracting and the video would be better with some sort of backdrop but as for the tying and instruction i thought it was good.I could see the materials and what you were doing as you tied and also i had no problem understanding you.The video was pretty clear and that's all i look for in a fly tying video.I am pretty sure i could tie that fly based on what you showed us and that's what matters most.Good job.

Since you keep bringing up crap about my revulsion of beards ... "Those big scary beards!" ... let me explain.

Brother-in-law ... with a beard. His breakfast/lunch/dinner would be in his beard for hours. Gross.

Would take a drink of milk or tea, then suck what was on his mustache off. Even more gross.

There are those that have a big truck to compensate for a certain physical "deficiency". I have no need of a big truck. Nor do I need any other vehicle to define my personality.

I also don't need facial hair to "define" my masculinity. Beards don't "scare" me, nor do they don't intimidate me.

What beards do, is nauseate me. All I see is people sucking milk out of mustaches ... snot getting congealed in mustaches ... dried up or festering food particles caught in beards. As far as I am concerned, the main reason for a beard is that the face under the beard is too ugly to be exposed.

Just sayin' ...

You know, if anyone could benefit from a beard I think it could be you. That is a pic of you holding a 6ish lb bass on your profile right?

"Just saying".