Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly tying materials

Materials Natural Maribou Dying Fly tying

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gstebler

Gstebler

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

I'm an avid outdoorsman. I have access to different natural materials for tying flies. I recently obtained a skin from a turkey. I found many different types of feathers I think can be used in place of maribou. Has anyone ever tried using turkey down? And can it be dyed? If so, how.

#2 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

Marabou, if Im not mistaken, comes from turkey. So turkey down is marabou

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#3 Gstebler

Gstebler

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

Well thank you. How would someone go about dying it. Natural is nice but I'd like to have other colors as well.

#4 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:41 AM

Well thank you. How would someone go about dying it. Natural is nice but I'd like to have other colors as well.

well that is above my pay grade... lol. I have no clue

www.McFlyAngler.com

#5 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:53 AM

Ive seen some people talk about using Kool-Aid for dying. But I think the color in Kool-Aid is food coloring. So maybe look for some food coloring at your local grocery store. However Im not sure youll get anything other than super intense bright colors. But I would think using some food coloring mixed with water ive seen some people talk about using Kool-Aid for dying. But I think the color in Kool-Aid is food coloring. So maybe look for some food coloring at your local grocery store. However Im not sure youll get anything other than super intense bright colors. But I would think using some food coloring mixed with water And letting the feathers soak in it would color them. However Im not sure that will not come out in the water

www.McFlyAngler.com

#6 Gstebler

Gstebler

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

Thank you for the reply. Koolaid works well on bucktail, squirrel tail, and deer hide. I didn't think of trying it on feathers.

#7 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

You could use Kool Aid for some colors, but you would be better of using acid dye for most colors. This sounds scary, but it only means that you need to use a little vinegar to set the color. This can be messy stuff, so if you would rather not deal with it, you can probably work some kind of deal with John Mclain from FeathersMC (http://feathersmc.com). If you do contact him, you may be better off calling him, as some say he Can be slow to reply to emails. That said, they replied to my emails in a timely fashon.

Congratulations on your turkey!
Henry

#8 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:27 AM

Youll have to bleach the color out to get the naturally dark brown down feather to take lighter colors of dye. Or youll just get dark shades of everything.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#9 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

Youll have to bleach the color out to get the naturally dark brown down feather to take lighter colors of dye. Or youll just get dark shades of everything.

Just dont use household bleach or it will burn you feathers.

#10 FIN-ITE 34

FIN-ITE 34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

https://mudmosh.com/...ers-for-crafts/

#11 Gstebler

Gstebler

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

Thank you for the replies. How would one bleach the feathers prior to dying? Hydrogen peroxide perhaps? Or is there something better to use? I want a dark blue batch for steelhead fishing this fall.

#12 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

Thank you for the replies. How would one bleach the feathers prior to dying? Hydrogen peroxide perhaps? Or is there something better to use? I want a dark blue batch for steelhead fishing this fall.

That I am not sure. Perhaps peroxide based hair bleach?

#13 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,751 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

Just thinking out loud ...

If you're going for a darker color, then you probably don't need to bleach.  A light blue, on brown feather will give you a dark blue ... no?

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#14 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,366 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:21 PM

no bleaching required

White-Turkey1.jpg

use the natural colored turkey for tailing, wings, leeches nymphs etc

The fish care less than we do!

#15 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:45 PM

"real" turkeys, those you eat at holidays are white as in flytires picture, thousands of thousands of them give up their lives to furnish white marabou that accepts dyes and the carcasses are sold as a byproduct at Thanksgiving.

Your dark turkey is special, use as is, imo. every feather on it has potential.

Unless you just want to develop a new skill. Then get with the link provided by FIN-ITE 34 or your local hair dresser. Feather and hair are similar if not the same material.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Materials, Natural, Maribou, Dying, Fly tying