Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
rbreedi1

Desk Lamp Recommendation

I had a round flourescent with a 5X magnifier center. Loved it but there is no where to clamp it to my current desk. The round flourescent bulbs are great and last forever if you can use a clamp style light.

Now I have an OTT Light. http://ottlite.com/p-381-13w-duoflex-magnifier-lamp.aspx

The light is great. My wife got me a stronger bulb. A daylight super bright. The Ott website offers 20% off the $69 price. You can do better. Buy your light from a Hancpck or Joann's sewing store. They often have 40% coupons. I stock up on stuff.

The problem with going too cheap is like every thing else in fly tying. We upgrade a year later, our initial saving was short sighted.

Michael's also often offers 40% off one item. I have a Daylight, but it's a tossup between it and an OTT. If I had it to do over (it's been nearly 10 years) I would look closely at the new LED lamps, but make sure they emit enough light, and stand tall enough to work under.

It's one of those things where there is no reason to spend a lot on it. I picked up a gooseneck lamp with a 2ft neck on it, at staples if I remember correctly, adjusts easily and is plenty bright enough for me.

I've tried the ring light with the magnifier in the middle, but the magnifier really threw my depth perception out the window. Maybe that's just me. I use a regular cheapo desk lamp with a daylight bulb. If you go that route, be sure the arm is plenty long enough and it's very adjustable. You don't want the lamp in the way when you're wrapping thread around the hook.

I have one of those ringy thingys too and don't like or use it. It's mainly in the way, and I have trouble coordinating my hands with the fly while viewing through it. I'm thinking a regular bullet lamp (Walgreens had some nice inexpensive one) and if I need magnification, I could get on of those jewelers' loupe glasses.

I have the (as FlaFly puts it) "ringy thingys" ... and I've never used the magnifier. The light is decent enough to tie with, so it's still the only light I have.

Get a cheap one like this and insert a dayligjt led bulb

desk-lamp-063.jpg

Thumbs up here!

Any day-light lamp, that will make the area you tye in bright, and not be a hinder for your movement around the vise.

Hate lamps, that i somehow bumbs into with my hands when tying...

/H

i had one of these with the magnifier and it was totally useless for me. the glass got in the way of tying. gave it away

some may like it but i didnt

23020catalogue.jpg

I started with a cheapo version of the "ringythingy", which was a magnifier with a bulb. It didn't turn out to be good though, since thfly got shadowed by my hand when I used thmagnifier. Today I have a real ringythingy, but I still rarely use the magnifier until really small sizes. For travelling I have a Dyna-King lamp which I think is good.

Lots of choices out there, and I've tied with many over the years, with few complaints. The top two aspects I look for is the ability to pivot the head(s) and for it to travel with no issues (for fly tying shows). I switched to LED lights a couple years ago, and haven't looked back. The light I'm using now is called the Pro Work Bench Light with dual LED heads, and it really is a great one. There is no heat coming off the LED's, the heads pivot, and it has a sturdy base. It also comes with an adapter to it can be attached to the side of a table or desk, if you prefer that.

My father-in-law has a similar light, though his has a magnifier. I prefer the dual heads, and you can always buy a magnifier to attach. When in doubt, always go with more light. This light has nearly too much, and occasionally removes color from my fly tying videos (stinks for the video, but great for tying!).

Here's a link, though I think with a little searching online, you can find them for less money:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251467353466?lpid=82&chn=ps

TC