Fly Tying
DarrellP

what repurposed items do you tie with

Fly tyers seem to love finding something at the hardware store, etc and tying a fly with it. For instance, the mop fly, flip flop poppers, foam door hangers, using rubber drawer liners to make ant bodies. Please share your repurposed fly tying material ideas.

Now that I've thought about it:

1) plastic grass for easter basket or christmas tinsel for flash, wings or tails (Dollar Tree)

2) 2mm foam sheet, toy aisle (Dollar Tree)

3) superglue, $1.00 for one to three containers (Dollar Tree)

4) fingernail polish, $1.00 a bottle (Dollar Tree)

5) mesh material for wings, toy aisle (Dollar Tree)

6) mesh tubing wreath making material, used for mesh tube flies, $1.00 for 12 yards (Dollar Tree)

7) sewing thread and embroidery thread in lieu of fly tying thread (Michael's)

8) eyelash yarn (introduced to me by Richmc)

9) thread stripped out of satin fabric in place of craft fur (introduced to me by Richmc)

Clear, colored or glitter glue sticks

Colored fingernail polish typically fluorescent

Puffy paint for 3d eyes.

Solder for lead wire

I could go on for quite a while

If you need marabou the feather boas at Hobby Lobby work well if they don't have packaged marabou.

Doll eyes for streamers.

Embroidery floss. Christmas tree tinsel. SHHAN. Transformer wire.

And let's not forget tools: dental floss pullers as bobbin holder threaders; electrical test clips for hackle pliers, piano wire for pulling rubber legs through popper bodies. Sewing machine bobbins.

Gutermann Bulky Nylon and Skala threads. Sulky Hollowshimmer tinsel. Lots of yarn, all kinds of yarn. Organza ribbon. Feathers from costume suppliers. Macrame cord, Paracord. Hooks not made for fly tying. Salvaged copper and silver wire. Christmas tree tinsel. Mylar from snack food bags.

As for tools, adjustable strip cutter, bodkins, hair stackers, dubbing needles, bobbin threaders, dubbing spinners,

I am sure there is more.

Interesting to me (actually funny)that girdle bug legs were made from the elastic in women's girdles. I am not sure they even make girdles now. And that is all I am going to say about that. Not implying that they should make them. Not at all.

I have been using legs from spinner bait skirts in lieu of girdle strands. I know, no great improvisation.

I also use superglue and epoxy from Big Lots. I have been eyeing some fluorescent plastic stretch tubing at Walmart.

I am a 60 year old, bearded man and the check out girl looked at me weird when I bought some nail polish. I said, "it's for fishing lures." She said, "yeah, whatever."

I have used some artist's acrylic glaze to coat poppers.

Bead chain from Walmart.

navel lint - dubbing (only good for one fly at a time)

On some tying website someone mentioned dubbing with dryer lint.

I buy inexpensive "Cosplay" wigs on eBay for streamer hair, salt water mainly. The wigs come in literally every color under the sun including fluorescents and glow in the dark. They are cheep, $10.00-$14.00 each and one wig will make hundreds of flies.