Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Moving to the Puget Sound Area

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowNix

ShadowNix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:37 AM

Hey Buds,

The job search is over and as I am busy signing contracts/negotiating, I figured I'd better start looking for fishing buddies... any of you out near the Tacoma area (or Seattle...that is only a bit north!) I am looking forward to hitting some salmon, steelies and maybe some cuttthroat trout in the area. Let's hear it from the Pacific Northwesters! I will be moving out in May/June. biggrin.gif Shout out, men!

'Nix

#2 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:40 AM

Nice area Doc
I hope to see some pictures when you get situated

OSD.
user posted image

#3 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:58 PM

Hey, you'll be in my neck of the woods. I actually live in Tacoma (NE Tacoma on Federal Way border). So, where is your new job located exactly? Can give you the best places to move. But, you'll have ALOT of rivers to explore.

#4 ShadowNix

ShadowNix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:11 AM

Hey Steelheader,

I will actually be moving to Tacoma. I will probably be living in the north end area, since it is easier for me to be close to Mary Bridge Children's Hospital (where I will be working) that way... smile.gif I just got a book on fishing the Pacific NW and I am drooling to try the Yakima, Deschutes, etc. smile.gif

'Nix

P.S. OSD, yeah I will send pic's... and eventually in a few years.... maybe Steelheader and I can host a roadtrip smile.gif

#5 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 01:56 PM

Ah, ok. I'll be just across the pond from you (I'm in North East Tacoma across Puget Sound). So we'll be very close.

Heck, if you're here, think "West". Sounds like you're researching trout streams (thought the Deschutes get steelhead). You have some world class steelhead fisheries same distance drive as the other two. Home of the 30# steelhead ohmy.gif wink.gif But you'll be very close to some legendary streams here.

#6 ShadowNix

ShadowNix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:08 PM

Hey Steelheader,

Yeah, I am thinking trout fishing because that is what I am currently doing, but I would love to try fly fishing of almost any species (I like rivers better than open ocean though). I want to try for some cuttthroat trout, salmon, steelies (done bit of steelies in MI) and maybe some Dolly Varden..., oh and some of those monster rainbows and browns would be fine too! Heeheheheh. With the beautiful scenery out there, I figure even if I am a noob in the new species for awhile, it will be fun.

'Nix

P.S. What legendary trout streams if I may ask (maybe PM me if you don't want to start a "Fish" rush for them tongue.gif Just wondering so I could look them up...

#7 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 04:58 PM

Actually, I'm mostly a river fisherman. Not much for the salt myself. But I meant legendary steelhead streams (SolDuc, Hoh, Bogichiel, Calawah). You already know about the big trout stream we have (Yakima). But the 4 I listed are known for big fish (have caught 5# dollies out of the Duc/Hoh). You also have the upper Quinault and Queets that are awesome salmon/steelhead fisheries too.

#8 ShadowNix

ShadowNix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 11:11 PM

smile.gif (Notice the drool hanging from my lower lip) I can't wait!!!

See ya in a few months!

'Nix