Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Nipigon Brook trout

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 01:01 PM

Anyone fish the northern shore of lake superior for the big brookies? Looking at heading up there for a few days next June to try the Nipigon region that I've heard so much about. Any suggestions?

#2 fish

fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 01:55 PM

You had better try it out soon because there has been some talk of putting the "coaster" brook trout on the SARA list (Species At Risk Act - Canadian equivalent of the US endangered species list). The latest issue of the Canadian Fly Fisherman has a report for Northern (ie. western in reality) Ontario and the author asked why the coaster is not already on the list. Anyway, if it makes it on the SARA list there is unlikely to be much fishing for it.

All this said, I have never been to the region and cannot offer much advice. No doubt a muddler minnow would be in order as the Nipigon is its place or origin.

#3 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 12:29 PM

Well, from what I've gathered the coasters show in the fall, and some of the big brookies they refer to are found in the stretches above the various dams (residents). Looks like we're going in late July now instead of June. I just hope that the regs don't change, cuz it sounds like the best fishing section is that of the water below the first dam down to Lake Superior.

Thanks for your comments...

#4 HATCHBOMB

HATCHBOMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 01:50 PM

What about any of the other rivers in that area?

Anyone every fish the Jackpine or Cypress rivers? I hear the Nipigon area gets hex in July...

#5 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:50 PM

You might see if you can squeeze a little here...

picketpin
Life happens!