Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Any thoughts on outing destinations?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:10 PM

IMHO the Smokies are over-rated. The terrain requires one to be part mountain goat and the fish are generally small.
If I were to hit that area again, I would look in to the South Holston or the Clinch.

I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#17 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:22 PM

We could all follow Pujy baby on one of them thar big brown trips whistling1.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#18 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:58 AM

What browns? whistling1.gif wink.gif

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#19 steelhead1975

steelhead1975

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:14 AM

i'm game for the grand. count me in!

#20 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:03 PM

So many locations to choose from blink.gif

We can go to Florida and vist TB cool.gif
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#21 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:15 PM

I'll bring my white belt and black socks! tongue.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#22 Leaky Waders

Leaky Waders

Steve Clark- Mind Freak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:16 PM

A centralized spot would probably be Pa.

Maybe we could find camping and motels within, say 30 minutes or so to a trout stream and a bass stream.

Any Pa. guys know of such a place? bugeyes.gif

LW
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.

Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#23 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:21 PM

Leaky,
The comment under your avatar is PERFECT! lol.gif
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#24 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (Leaky Waders @ Nov 12 2004, 05:16 PM)
A centralized spot would probably be Pa.

Maybe we could find camping and motels within, say 30 minutes or so to a trout stream and a bass stream.

Any Pa. guys know of such a place? bugeyes.gif

LW

From what i've heard there are alot of nice trout streams in PA...far as a bass stream there has to be some sewers nearby so that shouldnt be hard to find tongue.gif Mooning-Smilie.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#25 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:48 PM

Leaky,

There are many streams to be fished in Pa. Some even hold a decent small mouth population. I have a camp only 2 hours from Spring Creek. With in 3 hours from camp we can fish just about any stream in Central SE you want.

If your looking for a certain hatch we have it depending on the time of year.
I have some knowledge of the area for Spring Creek. LARGE native browns in the 20 inch range. If you want native brookies we can hike back in some.

What ever you want Pa has it ! Including the Steelers ! headbang.gif

Steve, I make a mean Prune Margarita !
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#26 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (J. Johnson @ Nov 12 2004, 05:48 PM)
Steve, I make a mean Prune Margarita !

sick.gif

Kevin i know here in MI fishing during the daylight hours for big brown is "mostly" a streamer type deal.Do the PA streams fish very well for browns with dries or is it about the same as we have here?

I know the grand is a great dry fly fishery and would like to hit that again for that reason but if PA has some decent dry fly fishing then i wouldnt' have any problem with making a trip for that.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#27 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:17 PM

What ... do sweet, fresh prunes and tequila make you squeamish... The next morning you'll be hung over and relieved

I like to chase the hatch. Move around trying to get the timing right. Nymph early wait for the rings. Spring creek browns can be hard to get. Scuds and Sulpher nymphs have worked best down under. Top side, got to have a variety of dries.
Compaduns, parachutes, catsklill style. If they dont that , givem an emerger fished in the film.

#28 Leaky Waders

Leaky Waders

Steve Clark- Mind Freak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:08 PM

Then again, a trip to Canada might be nice! whistling1.gif

Can you say Road Trip! bugeyes.gif

LW cheers.gif
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.

Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#29 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 08:35 PM

[QUOTE]there are alot of nice trout streams in PA...far as a bass stream there has to be some sewers nearby

I just can't stop laughing.......thats hillarous

Is that why folks in NY call PA Penssyltucky???

I'm making my arangements for next years big brownie trip, Oct 23-29th.

#30 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:59 PM

PA has the best smallmouth water in the country. Central PA also has tons of trout streams. Did I mention the best tasting beer, best looking women, and ... I could go on and on.. devil.gif

But there is some truth to it.

The Sesquehanna is the best smallmouth river in the states if not the world. Erie is visited by people from around the world for the fishing.

Just look at this map with all the wild trout streams. .... Don't look here .....
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams