Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Baby, you'll freeze out there...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SmallieKiller

SmallieKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 01:11 PM

Hey gang, just wanted to let everyone know that it's damn cold in Erie... I was up there yesterday and the fish are there, but so is the ice on the eyelets and the ice on the leader and tippet. I spent more time chiselling my line free of ice, than I did fishing early on.

I did manage to pick up 3, well 2.5 really, one was only about a 17in jack, the other two were in the 5-6 pound range, so the trip wasn't a total bust.

Right now the creeks are in awesome shape, perfect depth, perfect color, perect flow, just not to perfect water temp. I'm not sure what it was exactly, but the steelies I caught yesterday were hardly acrobatic or fiesty, they had a little fight in them, but not a whole lot.

If anyone is planning on hitting the tribs in the next month or so, don't bother heading out before 10 or so, unless it warms up dramatically. Everyone we talked to yesterday had the same response, nothing before 9:30, no real catch rate until after 11.

That being said, I'm sure I'll see some of you guys next month, I'm not sure about the forum trip just yet, need to see what's shakin with the Mrs. that weekend.

SK
See, I reckon you're an eight or a nine, maybe even a nine and a half in 4 beers beers time...

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the update SK, no fishing before 10am awe you mean we gotta sleep in on the trip...darn kicking.gif banana.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 06:57 PM

God I hate cold weather mad.gif

I'm sure the January trip is going to be tons of fun rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

test

#4 luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills

And before he rested on the seventh day...he created the bluegill!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:38 PM

People get up before 9?
~Only be concerned with that which lasts, then go deep into the backing!
Adventures with Fish!

#5 SmallieKiller

SmallieKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 11:02 PM

When it comes to chasing Steelies, I never fall asleep man...
See, I reckon you're an eight or a nine, maybe even a nine and a half in 4 beers beers time...

#6 SmallieKiller

SmallieKiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:00 AM

Just wanted to post a couple pics from that day, these two are the same fish, but the two I caught from this hole were basically the same size fish, coulda been twin sisters...

user posted image

user posted image

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 11:26 AM

Thats one clean looking steelie Sk, very nice indeed! headbang.gif

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts