Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

North Central PA Trip

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:02 PM

I'm going to test the water here and see how many would be interested in a North Central PA trip say in April or May. I have a few streams I've heard about that I'd like to try but haven't yet.

If your not familiar with some of the streams here is a teaser -
http://www.personal....flyfishing.html

Hatch chart -
http://www.twd.net/f...rhk/htchart.htm
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:21 PM

We had talked about possibly doing a trip to somewhere in PA this spring so I am defiently interested. Might have to teach you fools how to catch them slimy little trout!

test

#3 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 09:36 PM

I'll be in the area the third week of May for our annual trip.
If your plans lead you that way around that time lets meet .
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#4 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:19 PM

If I can get off this 2nd shift garbage that I'm working I'm interested!
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,326 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:34 PM

I might be up for that trip.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#6 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 07:33 PM

I might have a place to stay at an old fly tying shop turned into a cabin that sleeps around 12 to 15 people, i have to wait for a week to find out..

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#7 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 09:45 PM

I may be game, you've got my interest for sure!

If a commitment for lodging is required early, pick a date and let's see if it flies. I'm all for camping too!
Life happens!

#8 CharlieD

CharlieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 01:56 PM

I go there every year around that time so I guess I'm in. Pennís is one of the coolest places you will ever fish. Almost stepped on a very nice rattlesnake there one year. Spring creek is cool too.

Charlie.

Release-em-Alive!

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,326 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (CharlieD @ Dec 30 2004, 01:55 PM)
Almost stepped on a very nice rattlesnake there one year.

That really makes me want to go now, its surprising that quote isnt in the PA tour guide unsure.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#10 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:55 PM

At least it wasn't copperhead! At least the rattlers can give you some warning! blink.gif That's onlything I hate about PA, the snakes. Although I did have a 2' long rattler next go through my campsite while I was tying one afternoon in Grayling. Almost stepped on it when it was next to my tent!

I'd love to get some time on Penns, the last time I was there it was blown out so I spent all my time exploring the mountain streams. Man I hope my shift changes by then!
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#11 jmmccutc

jmmccutc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 02:54 PM

Almost stepped on a very nice rattlesnake there one year.

this is true, i do a bit of fishing here each year, the Sinnamahoning, slate run, pine creek, stony lick, spring rn, cross fork, and Kettel. i used to go with a group of my HS teachers, two of my brothers and father would go and a bunch of friends...it was a really good time...there were several of us that saw rattle snakes there especessialy along the Sinnamahoning...my roomate here at school is from Emporium PA, and we'll often drive there (about 3 hrs) on the weekends to deer hunt durring the winters, and trout fish in the spring and fall...i haven't had a chance to break away from school yet this year but i highly recomend this area...just some advice if you've never been there plan on driving a ways to fish, if you're at one stream and the fish aren't turned on, go some where elsel, if you do this you can almost garuntee good fishing all day long, the fish here arent real choosy if it's close to the hatch pattern (most of them have never seen an artificial fly) and all the streams have different hatches at different times, it's a rather unique region to fish...oh one other thing that is really cool about this area, in the spring you'll see so many deer and elk it's nuts, you'll be fishing and they will walk accross a stream 10 to 15 yards away from you, they just don't see poeple often so they don't know to be scared...along with the snakes watch out for the snapping turtles, i caught one that was the size of a saucer sled (not with a fishing pole) and my dad was pissed i loaded it up to take back to camp and show everyone...

#12 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 08:27 PM

Seems there is enough interest. I'll get some ideas on hotel / camps and see if we can find a central location to hit maybe more than one creek. I'm really interested in Spring Creek but I also would like to hit a bunch of them in that area.

Anyone who has fished there have some suggestions on inns and such if not I'll get googling. wink.gif
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#13 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 09:51 PM

My trips to that area have ranged from camping at Poe Paddy campground on Penns to sleeping in the bed of my truck. Never got to do the "civilized" lodging over there. smile.gif

Poe Paddy is a pretty nice primative campgroung though. and Poe Valley is just up the road and it's a state park.
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#14 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:59 AM

Just throwing out some ideas here..

Camping - Will find some campgrounds in the area.
Third week of may if JJ doesn't object.

I was thinking a 3 day weekend or possibly 4 with Fri/Mon.

Should give everyone more than enough time to plan ahead.

I'll also mention to the people that own the camp ground that we would like to keep the Bass fisherman seperated by at least 250 yards from us trout fishermen!

Any other suggestions?

#15 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 12:12 AM

wink.gif I used to fish up there 3-4 times a week when I lived in potter county. Kettle creek and the first fork of the Sinnemahoning will be thriving with hatches. JJ probably knows those freestone streams. The "road hole" on the 1st fork in the delayed harvest section, and the "pittsburg hole" on kettle are 2 of my favs! Pretty wide streams so a 9' 5wt is not too much stick. By mid may you can usually get out of your neoprenes and into some breathables. Sould be lots of dry fly action: BWO's 16-14, march browns 12-10, hendricksons 12, elk hair caddis 18-14, rusty spinners 16-18. Should be alot of fun. I might try to join ya'll.
If ya'll plan on hitting spring creek, it will probably be something like steelie fishing on the erie tribs during a good run. By that time the fish have gotten really "educated" as well. I never fished Penn's so I can't say. Little Juniata is a good one.
Also alittle North of State College are Pine Creek, Slate Run, Cedar creek, Young Womans' Creek just to name a few.
A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.