Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

North Central PA Trip

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:52 PM

Sounds like fun. If I can some how figure out how to get to pennsylvania, I'm game...3 day weekend sounds dang good to me. Plus my birthdays in early may so I should have some new goodies to try out =P.

Dfix, wanna go? I'll pitch in for gas laugh.gif

Cheers

Mr. Jingles

#17 pennscreekrules

pennscreekrules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:57 PM

The streams in the link mcfly posted are my home waters. These are some fabulous streams. If you guys end up making your trip for late may early june and plan on camping near any of these stream make your reservations now the Green Drakes draw people hear and camping can be difficult. April/early may, really anytime is a good time to fish Central Pa in my opinion. But if you don't like crowds I would avoid the Green drake hatch even though it is something everyone should witness at least once and you can catch some larger trout on dries, being a local I guess I think it's over rated. There are many excellent hatches depending on the stream besides the Drake. If you need help or advice or ideas on places to stay or fish feel free to contact me. pennscreekrules

#18 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the tips pennscreekrules.

I thought the green drake hatch was more in June. I just want to hit some streams in central pa. I always hear so many good things about them.

Do you know of any central camp grounds within a short drive or on any streams in the area I can start looking at. Hope to have everything set as far as where, when, and how by the end of feb middle of march.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#19 pennscreekrules

pennscreekrules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:22 PM

The Drake hatch can happen anywhere from the last week of May through the first two weeks of june. Depending on the weather. 2 years ago it didn't go until half way through the 3rd week of june (ruined a lot of peoples vacation) it's a tough hatch to scheledule for. Anyway, obviously by my handle, Penns Creek is definately my favorite. Poe Paddy State Park has a camp groung right on Penns with Poe Valley State Park maybe 2 or 3 miles down the road also having a campground. The only problem with these campgrounds is they are in the middle of the woods. I think its 11 miles to get out of the Havice valley end and 13 out the Poe valley end, all on dirt road. So If you are looking to hit some other streams this may be inconvient. I would also strongly recommend Fishing Creek (clinton county) it's pretty much a smaller version of Penns with some large trout and also the Little Juniata River. These are my three favorites from that link. Spring Creek is ok, don't get my wrong it's a great fishery it's just crowd I usually only fish there in the winter and during the BWOs and sometime during the Drakes, not because it has Drake, which it doesn't, but because everyone is chasing the Drakes and the stream is empty. Spruce Creek only has .5 maybe it's .6 miles of public water, the rest you have to pay and go through a guide service. If you are considering hotels at all I would point you to State College or Lewistown (where I live) you are pretty much in the center of all these streams in these two locations. State College is a much much bigger town with more to do and better places to eat. From State you are 5-10 minutes from Spring Creek, 30-35 minutes from Fishing Creek, 30-40 minutes from the Coburn end of Penns Creek and maybe 30-40 minutes from the Little Juniata and Spruce. To be honest Lewistown sucks but I'm 20 minutes from the Poe Paddy part of Penns, and 40 minutes to an hour from all the others. I'd need to look at my gazetteer to give you better camping options that are more centralized. Elk creek is also good, dumps into Penns at Coburn along with Pine. Haven't fish Pine that much it's small and if I'm that close to Penns I usaually can't resist it. Elk is kind of wierd in that there is a lot of it posted and it's hard to figure out were you can or can't fish. I hope this helps I'm glad to help anyway I can. pennscreekrules

#20 pennscreekrules

pennscreekrules

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:39 PM

I was just looking at my gazetteer and there is a campgroung on the top of the seven mountains which is half way between Lewistown and State College that might be an option. The only thing is that is right along Rt. 322 and it's not a state park type of campground it's more one of those place where retired couples and families pull their Rv in and stay all summer. Don't know if there's any tent camping. It's called Seven Mountains Campground (814)346-1910 this is the phone number in the gazetteer I don't know if it's still right my gazetteer is a couple of years old. I'll keep check for other places

#21 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:06 PM

Just bumping this one up to the top.
3 Degrees outside has me thinking about this trip.

That time of year we will be in to some decent mayfly hatches.
I have a camp in Indiana County. Its about an 1 1/2 from that area.
If accomidations are diffacult to secure. Its an option dunno.gif

The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#22 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 09:35 PM

As long as no one is afraid to sleep in a tent or possibly a cabin, who knows both the sites offer group camping RV spots and cabins. We should be fine. I'm looking at two camp grounds in that area. I just want one with the most options since I'm no expert on the waters out that way. I hope to have reservations and details by the end of feb.

One of the camp grounds is close to Penns creek.

These are the streams I'm looking at, I'm sure I'm not the only one though.

http://www.flyfishin...pringcreek.html

http://www.flyfishin....com/penns.html

http://www.flyfishin...shingcreek.html

http://www.flyfishin...m/slaterun.html
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#23 nedbm3

nedbm3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:48 AM

Count me in for the trip. Close to home. I fished a few of those streams. Good fishing. Oh yeah, the rattle snakes suck. That is why I carry me .38 with bird shot. mad.gif I hate snakes.

http://groups.yahoo....aniaflyfishing/
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

#24 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (nedbm3 @ Jan 28 2005, 02:48 AM)
That is why I carry me .38 with bird shot. mad.gif I hate snakes.

I hear that !

Some people say leave them alone, they wont bother you.
Tell that to the copper head that kept swimming towards me at Spring Creek.

I do what I can to avoid them. But if one shows any signs of aggression.
Say hello to my little friend gun_bandana.gif
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#25 nedbm3

nedbm3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:41 PM

I was on Kettle Creek and didn't have any waders on. It was a warm day and I was only wearing shorts and sandals. A water snake swam between my legs and that was enough for me. To make it worse, i walked out through the tall grass and when I got to the road a rattler came out and got nailed by a car right in front of me. Now on, I don't care if it is in the 90's, I always wear my waders.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.