Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Steelhead around Windsor, Ontario

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fish

fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:25 PM

I am going to be in Windsor for work in Early January but have a day to myself. Seeing all the posts on what seems will be an excellent trip for PA steelhead around that time, I am wondering about the possibilities of making a day trip out of Windsor to a stream or two to have a go at it. That would confine me to the nearby Canadian side and therefore tributaries of W Lake Erie or Lake St Claire. Are there possibilities? I have never even seen a steelhead so I am complete beginner. Any ideas or info would be appreciated.

#2 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:11 PM

Don't think you'll run into any numbers of fish close to Windsor.

On the U.S. side the Huron (lk Erie trib.) and the Clinton (St Clair trib.) both get a few fish, but substantial pressure too. Both are around and hour drive from windsor. I don't think any of the tribs on your side get any fish to speak of.

The Thames (north of Windsor) gets a great Walleye run, if there is ice, that is an option. Also the Mitchells Bay on St Clair has fantastic perch fishing at times (ice taxis, shanties available on the Canadian side).

Most of the tribs. on the canadian side have been straightened and diverted for agriculture, coupled with a lack of deep water access near the mouths and no planting programs make Steelhead on those tribs a long shot.

I could be wrong though! bs.gif
Life happens!

#3 fish

fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:29 AM

ok thanks airhead. I guess I will just have a look around Windsor, maybe try to find a fly fishing shop around Windsor or Detroit. When you can't fish buy!

#4 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:46 PM

If you have a day or long afternoon, come over and check out Cabela's in Dundee, Mi. it's about an hours drive from the bridge or tunnel. You won't be disappointed, except for the exchange rate! LOL

If you're interested I can give you detailed directions.
Life happens!

#5 fish

fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:29 AM

I am in the Windor Hilton right now looking at those Detroit sky scrapers (through the blowing snow) wondering where a fly shop might be. I might have a chance on Sunday to go have a look around - would shops be open on Sunday? If I get a chance to look at Cabelas I will find my way to Dundee. Exchange rates are excellent now for Canadians so it is actually a good time to buy gear in the States.

thanks airhead

#6 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:51 AM

Fish,

The Detroit area has very few flyshops and I know of none within the city itself. I short drive to Royal Oak would present 2 of them. One is an Orvis Company Store right on Woodward Avenue between 12 and 13 Mile Road on the east side of the road. Another is the Flymart on Main Street, also in Royal Oak. It's on Main Street, I believe just south of 12 Mile on the east side of the street. The Flymart caters more to the tyer with a pretty good selection of materials.
Certainly Cabela's is worth the drive, but hang on to your wallet. There's always something you didn't plan on buying, but it just reaches out to you on the way by...LOL

There might be some shops in the downriver area, but can't say for sure. Send Dornug an PM, he'll be able to help you out in that direction. Tell him I sent ya laugh.gif

BTW, a few of us are riding to Erie PA this weekend. Come join us headbang.gif
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#7 fish

fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:05 PM

Thanks Shoe. I guess this area is just not a fly fishing mecca. I would love to head down to PA and join your steelhead trip but could not make it this weekend as I am here for a conference (on fish no less) so that will keep me tied up until Sunday afternoon anyway. If this PA steelhead trip is going to turn into an annual thing then I should just try to arrange to join you next year. It would be a great introduction to steelheading.

#8 Brewer

Brewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:32 PM

fish, i know their is some fishable water there, ive done some winter fishing around hamilton a few years back, google it up, i know its there !