Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

We're booked!

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 02:12 PM

Thanks to Airhead he booked us at Gaston's for a couple of days. We should arrive February the 26th and fish through the 28th. If any of you are down that way, stop by.
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#2 SpentWing

SpentWing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 05:36 PM

Sounds like a great way to get away from the snow and ice up here! smile.gif

Mike

#3 Old Injun

Old Injun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:39 PM

Hey ralf;
I meant to tell you that I have family that lives in mountain home(sp) and probably could hook you up with a place to stay, Sorry I just plain forgot to post it.

#4 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:50 PM

That's ok Jerry

Thanks for the offer. It's just kinda weird bunking up at someone's house you don't know. Now if you and that "no-good son" of yours would join us... cool.gif

The rates were so cheap, it's not even an issue. 90 bucks for a 2 bedroom, kitchen, living room and fireplace for those romantic evenings...LOL bugeyes.gif bs.gif (I'll have to beat them with my 6wt.) All of that at one of the White's best resorts. Off-season rate wink.gif
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#5 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:51 PM

Good luck on the trip Ralf, sure wish I was heading south.

Just watch out for them deers unsure.gif

test

#6 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:54 PM

Arkansas is under strict AR's (antler restrictions). There are no deer. laugh.gif laugh.gif Just like Ohio after Chromium killed the last doe. ohmy.gif tongue.gif

#7 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:10 AM

Shoe,

If you've never been there, you'll really enjoy Gaston's. Be sure to take in Rim Shoals for some really nice catch and release action. Also, kidnap a kid and take him to Dry Run Creek (under Norfork dam. Restricted to under 16 fishermen.) The Norfork is a great wader if they are not generating and Bull Shoals is. Also, if you want to wade and they are draining both lakes, take an hour trip to Mammoth Spring and fish the Spring River (spring fed... no generation worries) at Dam 3 or Bayou access.

Hope you enjoy. I'm only a couple hours from the White, so you might just see me out there that weekend.

Oh... and last time I was at Rim Shoals, a nice doe walked down the edge of the river and watched a group of us fish for about an hour or more. She walked right to the water and drank no more than 20 ft from one of the fishermen. So there is at least ONE deer left in Arkansas..... laugh.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#8 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:39 PM

ArkieFlyGuy,

Thanks for the suggestions.

This will be my 4th trip in the last 2 years. Never did fish the Spring River. All the other Shoals ring a bell. headbang.gif I took my retarded brother to Dry run, but the CO didn't buy it...lol Something about a 300 pound challenged individual drinking beer and whiskey

Do you have any "must have" patterns for that time of year? We never fished it in late Winter. 2 of the trips were in July and one over Thanksgiving. I keep reading about prolific midge hatches and some sulpher nymph action and of course shad

#9 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (Shoe @ Jan 12 2005, 06:50 PM)
That's ok Jerry. Now if you and that "no-good son" of yours would join us... cool.gif

now why am i always the no good son??

may not be the best but i am definately better than the rest! wink.gif

#10 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (Shoe @ Jan 13 2005, 11:39 AM)
Do you have any "must have" patterns for that time of year?

Three words..... OLIVE WOOLY BUGGERS!!!! thumbsup.gif That would be a "go to" for most fishing on the three rivers mentioned most any time of year. Shad and sculpin patterns are good. If you can find John Wilson's pattern for "Trout Crack" clapping.gif ..... different scud patterns do well.

Also, read The Ozark Chronicles Trout Fishing to get some information on the area. cheers.gif

Best advice I can give you.... Go to The Fly Fishing Arkansas.com website and join that forum. In the White River section, there are a lot of guys who fish the river year round. Get some ideas there. scooter.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

#11 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

I've been a member over there for a couple of years. Jimmy T sent me an email yesterday. Never did score one of the trout crack. Must be the best kept secret of the White rolleyes.gif

#12 Chromium

Chromium

Party Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:54 PM

Well, it seems that Sippy is throwing me out of the house again on that particular weekend, so I'll have to go along. thumbup.gif

This should be another interesting trip. I need to start practicing my limp for Dry Run. wheelchair.gif scooter.gif crutch.gif

Challenged? Do I look challenged to you?

user posted image

#13 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:23 PM

Shoe,

Click here and you owe me, bud!!!

j_k.gif

Jimmy and the gang there have helped me a lot. Of course, a few of them I knew before I joined last month. If you look at Zach Matthews' Christmas fishing trip pictures, I'm the guy out in the middle of the river while they are eating lunch at Rim Shoals...... that little tiny spec in the background.... bugeyes.gif

My ex-wife said I acted like a three-year-old. Think that would qualify me for DRC?
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

#14 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:54 PM

Wow, thanks Terry

After an entire year of secrets, it's finally out. laugh.gif

Hey John, didn't you mean to post this one?

user posted image

#15 Sippy

Sippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:12 PM

Or this one????

user posted image
You can spend a fortune on premium feathers and it doesn't mean you'll tie a perfect fly. It just means you have the materials from a good looking chicken.