Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

We're booked!

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 Chromium

Chromium

Party Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:14 PM

I'm starting to see a pattern here........Tough Crowd!

#17 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:36 PM

Well, Marty (Sherman) is a go.

user posted image
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#18 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:21 PM

Hey Shoe,

If you're not already signed up.....

Weekly Fishing Report by AGFC

Sign up to have it emailed to you every Thursday about this time..... (Just got my copy)

Aaahhh... but see... you didn't offer the CO any of the beer and whiskey..... Might get into DRC if you did...... j_k.gif
TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#19 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:56 PM

That's a pretty cool link, Terry

I just signed up for it. Do you have any proven midge patterns you care to share? I bought some zebras at Marble Canyon and a few of the reds (beadhead nymphs in a 18 and 20). Those little critters sure did the job.

I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#20 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:27 PM

I'm off the box for a couple days and the place goes to hell in a handbasket! devil.gif

How did I get involved in photo wars anyway?

Do we have a convoy headed down there now?

I reserved cabin #1, should I reserve another? tongue.gif

Geez, I think I'm out of the loop! LOL
Life happens!

#21 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:07 AM

QUOTE (Airhead @ Jan 13 2005, 10:27 PM)
1. I'm off the box for a couple days and the place goes to hell in a handbasket! devil.gif

2. Do we have a convoy headed down there now?

3. I reserved cabin #1, should I reserve another? tongue.gif

4. Geez, I think I'm out of the loop! LOL

Answers

1. Yup!

2. Yup!

3. Nope! Gaston's is booked. I looked at the river map last night and there's a couple of lodges close to Gastons. I'll get the names tonight and we can go from there. I wonder if we can get on a waiting list? dunno.gif I'm sure someone will cancel

4. Yup!

As far as your rowing skills....... dry.gif unsure.gif nono.gif

Let's see.... things to bring

Vitamin B
Several nets lol
Confetti
Chain saw
Building permits
Bail Money
Extra rods to replace the broken ones
Spare parts for John's van
A set of deer whistles
Earplugs
and a wheelchair in case Paul comes along

help.gif wallbash.gif laugh.gif

#22 Chromium

Chromium

Party Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:08 AM

And a cooler lid in case the motor quits. biggrin.gif

#23 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:13 PM

Okay, so we've gone from the "ship of fools" to "armada of idiots"! cheers.gif Works for me!

Btw, Ralf. My trailer guy will hook us up! cool.gif
Life happens!

#24 ArkieFlyGuy

ArkieFlyGuy

It just doesn't get and better than Kenny G.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 02:01 PM

As a native of Arkansas for 47 years, let me add to your list of things you’ll need to know, bring, or pick up for your trip to Arkansas……

Things you should know:

Tea comes in two types – sweet and un-sweet. It’s best to go ahead and specify to your waitress which type you want.

Steaks are cooked to order. But be careful. Many chefs in Arkansas think there is a fine line between medium-rare and leather.

A Philly Steak sandwich here is probably not a Philly Steak sandwich. Barbecue here, on the other hand, IS really barbecue. (If you happen to pass through Memphis, I’d recommend a stop at the Rendezvous downtown.)

A restaurant is not a true southern one unless the menu includes grits and/or fried okra. Go ahead. Try the grits. Order the fried okra. They will not kill you and you might just like them. But don’t bet on it.

Turn signal lights on cars serve no purpose in Arkansas. If you see a car with no turn signal, DON’T TRUST IT!! Either it doesn’t work, or the driver assumes you should know he’s turning. If you see a car with a turn signal on, DON’T TRUST IT!! Either the driver accidentally turned it on while reaching for another beer or someone else who owned the car turned it on and he doesn’t know how to turn it off.

Arkansas drivers are a little fuzzy on the meaning of such words as “stop”, “yield”, “merge”, and “slower traffic keep right.” Speed limits are thought to be either minimums (explaining why some drivers do 75 in a 55 zone) or in kilometers (explaining why many drivers do 35 in a 55 zone.) Also, a yellow light at an intersection means “stomp on the gas.”

Pedestrians, huntin’ dogs, any farm equipment, and large four-wheel-drive vehicles (especially ones with gun racks full of guns in the back window) have the right-of-way in all cases. However, most drivers will swerve up to 40 feet in any direction to run over a possum, armadillo, or deer. Deer run over are subject to being field dressed and taken home for dinner.

Directions including such phrases as “turn left between the two cypress trees next to the house with the ’56 Dodge pickup body, three dogs, seven cats, and a red headed 2 year old kid with a tee shirt and no diaper on in the front yard” are not uncommon.

Understand that the true native Arkansans will KNOW you are from “up north.” Don’t ask me how, but we can spot ‘em a mile away. You will enjoy the southern charm and you will feel welcome. However, remember that deep down we are hoping you go back home soon and don’t do like the “damn Yankees” around here did. (You DO know what the difference is between a Yankee and a damn Yankee…?”

Things you will need to bring or pick up on the way:

DEET – You’ll need it for the mosquitoes in eastern/delta Arkansas if you come through there. Yeah, I know it’ll be February…. They don’t seem to know and understand that. And if while driving, you think you are watching a scene from Hitchcock’s “The Birds”, it’s just the skeeters determining if they want you for supper.

Skin So Soft – For the Buffalo Gnats in the hills (see mosquito comments.)

“I’m not dead” signs – To hang around your neck in case you pass out in the outdoors during your trip. This sign may keep the bald eagles that will be along the river from mistaking you for dinner.

Your favorite beer – Knowing some of you Yankees, you won’t be happy with the selection of beer in Arkansas. If it ain’t Bud or Miller, you might not find it here. An occasional six pack of Beck’s or Sam Adams and even a Heinie or two can be had at a premium. Pick up your beer in Missouri. It’s cheaper there. And if you run out on Saturday night, you’ll have to go to Missouri to buy beer anyway.

Map of Michigan (if you are from Detroit) – This is in case you are pulled over by an Arkansas LEO. You might be asked “Where’re yew frum, boy.” To which you would, naturally, reply, “From Detroit.” This will prompt many Barney wannabes to ask the question, “Detroit, huh? Then why do you have Michigan tags on your car?”

A Hillbilly to Yankee translation book – You will need this to understand our language. Words and phrases such as “ya’ll”, “yu’uns”, “yontew”, “ah-ite”, “fixinta” and many more will be very strange to your ears.

One half gallon of Crown Royal Reserved Stock (gold label) – In case I run into you guys and you can pay me for this advice.

Enjoy your time here in the Natural State!!!

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL!!!

Arkie Fly Guy's NEW AND IMPROVED website...

I'm not a fly fisherman.... But I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!!!....

#25 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:07 PM

LOL Gotta love it

After a week we sound just like y'all laugh.gif
Typical conversation at a propane fillin' Station.

Me: "Sure is a hotn' today
Old Man: Off to a guud start
Me: Hey nice cat
Old Man: Ain't mine
Me:It's sittn on your desk
Old Man:He's tryin' to stay coo, just liak mae
Me:How about my propane?
Old Man: Damn, I just came in from yonder, that'll bee twel doallah
Me" Thanks, have a guudn'
Old Man: Yuop

My kinda guy.

At least you have a good concept of quality liquor! headbang.gif

#26 Airhead

Airhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:39 PM

I'm bustin' a gut here man! laugh.gif

My brother and sister-in-law are "Damn Yankees". Clemson S.C.

If you'd make grits from hominy (like any self-respecting hick) instead of feed corn, I might have some with my breakfast!

Okra, fried...yes, boiled...yuk!

Bud light will suffice, hope they are well stocked! tongue.gif

You may have to come up with a little more than that for the jug! whistling1.gif

If you see a car with a turn signal on, DON’T TRUST IT!! Either the driver accidentally turned it on while reaching for another beer or someone else who owned the car turned it on and he doesn’t know how to turn it off.

LMAO!!!!
Life happens!

#27 Sippy

Sippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (ArkieFlyGuy @ Jan 14 2005, 02:01 PM)
Directions including such phrases as “turn left between the two cypress trees next to the house with the ’56 Dodge pickup body, three dogs, seven cats, and a red headed 2 year old kid with a tee shirt and no diaper on in the front yard” are not uncommon.

Ok, Chromium and Shoe, is this one sounding a little "scary" familiar? Let's add the 3 sided shed with the washer and dryer.

The three dogs were coon hound pups. bugeyes.gif help.gif
You can spend a fortune on premium feathers and it doesn't mean you'll tie a perfect fly. It just means you have the materials from a good looking chicken.

#28 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (Sippy @ Jan 15 2005, 12:28 AM)

Ok, Chromium and Shoe, is this one sounding a little "scary" familiar? Let's add the 3 sided shed with the washer and dryer.

The three dogs were coon hound pups. bugeyes.gif help.gif

What the hell good is a shed without a washer and dryer? They'll get electricity by by '08 headbang.gif This man was thinking ahead.

Besides one's self-worth is measured by the amount of coon dogs in the yard. laugh.gif

#29 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:38 AM

Who is bringing the spare liver cool.gif
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#30 Chromium

Chromium

Party Coordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:50 AM

I tried that once........but it rejected me dunno.gif