Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

steelhead trip??

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:31 PM

I'm gonna go down to the PM this week, I'm thinking thursday fishing from an hour or so before dawn till 3p.m. headbang.gif

#32 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (skunked @ Mar 6 2005, 09:24 PM)
I'm in whenever, just name the place and time and I'll be there biggrin.gif

Detroit River at midnight, wait for us we'll be there Mooning-Smilie.gif

I'm still planning on trying but not sure yet, once someone sets a date 'll see how it looks for me.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#33 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,783 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:55 PM

you guys have me itching to ask for an invite but i never fished for steelhead before. sounds like a good time for all in this adventure. i hope one day i can bring mtself to make a trip like this and meet a few of you. i might not catch any steelhead. probably alot of bushes and trees behind me. my friend here says after i've fished a spot it looks like the trees been decorated for x-mas. so maybe one day i can decorate the trees for you guys and i can cook some great cajun food for the bunch. good luck guys, Bud
Carp, the next white meat

i'm a friend, you can fart next to me anytime
but i'm also the muscle for the feather mafia

when a mans alone he does alot of thinking
when a mans with his friends he does alot of talking,
when a mans with his wife he does alot of listening
when a mans on a rivers he's content
when a mans with god he's at piece

#34 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:28 AM

Anytime you're ready, Bud headbang.gif

With the flies in your collecction, I'll be the first to "take down the tree" at the end of the season. laugh.gif

So are you guys gonna pick a date? dunno.gif
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#35 johnnyquest

johnnyquest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Shoe @ Mar 7 2005, 07:28 AM)

So are you guys gonna pick a date? dunno.gif

Doubtful, but if they do i will swing up on a Sunday for sure. I will probably be nearby anyway, as long as my car doesn't break again this year....LOL

#36 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:38 AM

Well here's a few dates I'll be going down,

3-9(wed)
3-13(sun)
3-25(fri), also full moon
3-26(sat), day before easter

These are the most likely days this month I'll be able to for sure go. Although I plan on going down more often, depends on how the weather is going. THe new moon ison 4-8 for any of you that believe in moon phases, so 3 days before and after should be good. I definately plan on going alot, and am not opposed to hitting other rivers than the PM, also if anyone wants to fish at night I'm game for that too

#37 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 05:26 PM

i am planning on a quick weekend trip on good friday and possibly sat before easter. if anyone is around or going to be let me know. i am thinking right now the pm, but alot depends on what the water levels are like or possibly the white. but it is in the planning stages as of right now, still have to get it by the wife, but i wont give her much of a choice.

after that i am up there with a group from church on the 31st to the 3rd. any weekend after that will work for me as far as a group outing goes.

#38 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:52 AM

After talking to Sd last night, there seems to be some interest in another PA trip.

I took a quick look at my schedule and the weekend of the 19th (March) seems to be a distinct possibility. That date appears to be a little early for a Michigan trip with our latest bullshit weather, but might work out down there.

I'm going to keep April open for some pike fishing and dragging baits along the shorelines for browns. dry.gif

I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#39 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:36 AM

lets do it, anytime anyplace.

#40 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

as much as i would love to go to pa and fish, i cant go that weekend. last wrestling meet for the team, i really should be there being one of the coaches and all.

#41 frogpoop

frogpoop

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 04:01 PM

I am IN.......3 day lic in PA this year must include a "erie"stamp and a "creek stamp" (add 15 bucks to the 30 lic fee)......eather way I am in ....I ususally get a out of state lic for PA anyways....Mi or PA dont matter to me

#42 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:13 PM

Snooped around a bit and didn't like the findings.

Looks like my little window of opportunity still shows cold weather even in Erie. Long-term forecasts present lows in the teens in highs in the mid 30's by next week. The trip might be a last minute decision on my part.

My recommendation is to hold off at least until Easter Weekend and hopefully the weather will break for you guys.

FTW dry.gif

Here's some recent reports

#43 J. Johnson

J. Johnson

Don't talk to me, I got a good drift!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:39 PM

March 19th works for me.
The word "angling" is the name given to fishing by people who can not fish- Stephen Leacock

#44 mcfly

mcfly

><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:24 PM

Someone say Steelhead trip?? laugh.gif

19th can work or easter weekend.
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all. - Peter McWilliams

#45 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:38 PM

Let's keep our fingers crossed wink.gif

Look out Pa. bugeyes.gif Hey JJ, turn up the heat