Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Lake St. Clair

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 02:02 PM

I want to make a trip down to Lake St. Clair this summer for smallmouth bass, does anyone have any suggestions on good areas to fish, productive flys, or tecniques that work well down there? Also does anyone know a good place to rent a boat in the area? Thanks

#2 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:12 AM

Let me know when you're coming.

I have a few spots that yield some monster smallies. By that time, I'll have the new boat fully rigged to work and hold the structure. wink.gif

Most of the boys fish tube jigs, worms and minnows and concentrate on the deeper water, but there are a few areas that provide some current, have boulders and are reachable with flies. Some of those pigboats I tied might do the trick if weighted properly and fished on a sinktip. I had some success by fishing sculpins, but it wasn't the ideal bait.

Working on it...
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#3 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:52 PM

Thanks shoe, I knew what what some of the popular lures were with spinning gear and I was thinking of maybe imitating them wih flys. I am thinking sometime in june, I've heard thats the best time of year to go after them down there.

#4 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

I don't believe the season opens until mid June.

I might be able to swing something. At that time of year the shallows are still relatively cool and that makes it a little easier to target them.
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#5 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

That's right the season opens a little later on St. Clair. Isn't it set up to start after they are finished on the beds?

#6 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:18 PM

It's set up that way, but no one listens. There will be boats out there targeting Smallies starting in Mid-May. It's really quite amazing the Michigan DNR does not patrol more heavily this time of year. They could add heavily to the state's revenue.

I have done an awesome job on smallies on LSC and even caught a Musky on a fly last summer out there. It's an amazing place to fish. Not to mention all the carp!!...Wow I can't wait till spring!!!
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson

#7 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:45 PM

I've never targeted carp before, but I've heard they fight pretty hard, what are some good carp flies?

#8 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:24 PM

I've been tying up a ton of small crayfish imitations, larger nymphs (size 6-10), and small clouser minnows. I can take a picture of my box if you like so you can see an idea.

let me know
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

#9 sore arm

sore arm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:55 PM

I fished the Detroit River some years back. It was Spring and targeted walleyes out in the main river. Fishing was slow so decided to go back into the shallow bays for a look see. Found tons of pike and bass. The tackle shop owner told me that you just cant keep the bass before opening day. That was about 10 years ago. I dont know what the rules and regs are today. Look in the booklet you got when you bought your licence, that should tell you what you can and cant do.

#10 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:29 AM

I've been tying up a ton of small crayfish imitations, larger nymphs (size 6-10), and small clouser minnows. I can take a picture of my box if you like so you can see an idea.

lets see her eek.gif

#11 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (sore arm @ Feb 14 2005, 07:55 PM)
I dont know what the rules and regs are today. Look in the booklet you got when you bought your licence, that should tell you what you can and cant do.

The rules are that one can't target a species out of season. However, some lakes are open for C&R prior to the statewide opener. (LSC isn't one of them)

It's pretty hard to keep them off your line early in the season. They'll hit just about anything. We catch them trolling for eyes, fishing for perch and casting for pike.

The Detroit River is full of serious smallies. I had the pleasure of fishing with guy from Grosse Isle. We fished crawdads around structure and pulled some real monsters around Bois Blanc (Bob-lo), Celeron and Horse Island. The biggest one on my boat was a 6 pound pig caught by SFK in the Delphine. It fell to a salted tube bait.

I wouldn't mind finding some carp flats... bugeyes.gif

#12 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:29 PM

here is an idea of my current carp assotment

user posted image
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

#13 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:26 AM

Eli,

Those seem to have a little saltwater influence. dunno.gif Nice looking bugs.

#14 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:12 AM

Those seem to have a little saltwater influence.

I have taken quite a influence from some saltwater flies and kinda put my own twist on things. Thats what makes fly tying so great. The main thing I try to do is make them as snag free as possible.

Thanks
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli