Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Walt Disney World Fishing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Houdini

Houdini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:06 PM

I had posted an inquiry as to the possibilities of fishing at Disney World. I’m back now and can answer my own inquiry as well as post information for those of you who might have some interest in the possibility. To reiterate, my wife decided that for my birthday I would like a one-week stay in Disney World. (Read as - she wanted to go someplace “warm and green”). Her decision was the result of a comment I made that when we took the kids several years ago, they weren’t much interested in the exhibits at Epcot and were more ‘ride” orientated. We’d been to the Magic Kingdom and a water park by then, but they weren’t “rided” out so to speak. I said I’d like to go back to Epcot.
Well, to make a long story short, she booked a stay at “French Quarter” for a week. As we have friends in the area, we didn’t anticipate an entire week doing Disney. As an after thought, I decided to pack a travel rod, reel and some flies so that I could have the possibility of wetting a line. The official guidebook said there were bass in the lakes and rivers.
Well, one afternoon my wife decided to sit in the sun by the pool and I decided to see what was in the Sassagoula River. It didn’t look promising, as it was an engineered river with no weeds to speak of and concrete sides and bottom. Again, to make a long story short, I got in about three casts before a junior waterways patrolman pulled up and told me he “couldn’t let me fish there”. Reasonably, I asked where I could fish. Well, “no where on the property” was the answer – unless – said he - I wanted to go out with one of the approved guides. I’d already looked into that and at $225 for two hours on a boat with four other people fishing and (forget throwing a fly!) shiners at an additional cost of $13.00/dozen or $23.00/ two dozen, it seemed kind of expensive. Why, I even had my choice of times - 7, 10 or 1:30!!! Be still my beating heart!
I came away with the feeling that Walt Disney World is an elaborate mechanism for separating you from as much money as they can in as short a time as possible. I should know after all these years, right?
Well, I made a stab at pissing in their revenue stream because they wouldn’t let me fish in their stream. At the resort, you can purchase a Souvenir Mug for about $4. You get free refills with it for the duration of your stay. I bequeathed mine to someone who had just checked in – with the proviso that he bequeath it to someone when he left. Maybe the trend will take off and maybe they won’t notice it’s happening.

#2 artimus

artimus

What? a fly swap?..... I'M IN!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Houdini @ Feb 17 2005, 12:06 PM)

Well, I made a stab at pissing in their revenue stream because they wouldn’t let me fish in their stream. At the resort, you can purchase a Souvenir Mug for about $4. You get free refills with it for the duration of your stay. I bequeathed mine to someone who had just checked in – with the proviso that he bequeath it to someone when he left. Maybe the trend will take off and maybe they won’t notice it’s happening.

Nothing better then sticking it to a $$$ grabber when you can. headbang.gif

Art
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.
----- Unknown -----

#3 tightlines

tightlines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:59 AM

Screw Corporate America (and mickey mouse)

The machine will one day fall.

#4 getholdofjoru

getholdofjoru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 12:18 PM

The machine will never fall. I love the machine, I am the machine.
----JGR----

Check out my blog at www.thejgrdispatch.com

“Never confuse movement with action.” Ernest Hemingway

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." Jack London

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." Tracy Morgan