Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

mich. trip

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:36 PM

hi guys going down to amherstburg (winsor area) late may plan on doing some fishing near detroit area any suggestion. Also do i need a special species permit or just a fishing permit for Mich.

TL> Mike
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#2 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 03:05 PM

A "short term" license (1 day) includes all species.

Around here (Detroit) you are quite limited for trout or steelhead. When are you coming this way? If the waters receede, the Huron in Flat Rock and the Clinton in Shelby Twp can produce steel. We're expecting a decent return do to increased stocking a few years back
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#3 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for the info Shoe. Iam planning to go down around the last of May.
plan to fish both sides of the border. will get a few maps from DNR . thanks again for thr information
TL> Mike
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#4 wildcatwick

wildcatwick

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:14 AM

Not much in that area for sure. You would be better off hitting the Grand in Ontario for steel head towards the mouth or for big Browns by Elora and Fergus.

#5 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:28 AM

Gotta agree with Wildcat

By May all of the trout/steelhead fishing is over, with the exception of Paint Creek in Rochester. It's stocked yearly with (some) hold-overs from the previous year.

Give me a shout prior to your arrival.
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.