Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Kinzua tail waters ????????????

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fcflyguy

fcflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:40 PM

dunno.gif I was planning a trip to the tail waters of Kinzua. the first or second week in May I never fished this area before . any info would be thankful going after trout and need to find a campsite. Thanks fcflyguy dunno.gif
tied to throw not for show

#2 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:44 PM

I've not fished the tailwater before but I use the US forest service campground up there in the national forest several times a year and have had nothing but good experiences.

http://www.fs.fed.us...ests/allegheny/
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#3 fcflyguy

fcflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:02 PM

Thanks I will check it out fcflyguy
tied to throw not for show

#4 Sketch

Sketch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:27 PM

Used to work at that dam and at the federal hatchery below it. Not sure what campgrounds are open this time of year. I doubt the forest campgrounds are open, but definitely check into them, especially the ones along the Kinzua arm of the reservoir. Also, you'll want to check on what the output of the dam is like. If she is wide open, it'll be tough to fish the river below the dam. I've fly fished it with success, especially downriver a ways. I mostly concentrated on deep riffles and did real well with rainbows, but that was many years ago. It used to be unofficially stocked with rainbows but I don't believe that happens any more. I do know there are some monster browns in that river. Tag into one of those and hold on for your life!

#5 LeftyPa

LeftyPa

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:10 AM

I fished it twice , no expert but- if water is not two high , wade over to island and fish down left side. Have different caddis patterns standard colors, Tan- Green maybe black for Grannon If the water is high fish somewhere else lots of good streams around their.

John
Presention Presention Presention.

#6 Toneloc

Toneloc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 11:15 AM

Give Bill Ingersol a call or email. He is now out of the guiding buisness, but he'll fill you in. He is a really nice guy. I was living about 1.5 hrs away from Kinzu this past summer and was contemplating fishing it a few times, but never got the chance.

Here is his contact info.

Bill Ingersoll, Guide
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 716.664.6872

Kayak flyfishing, guiding and instruction for smallmouth on Lake Erie, steelhead on Cattaraugus Creek NY, and trout on the Kinzua Tailwaters. Fully rigged for flyfishing kayaks (option wade trips for Steelhead).