Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

1st Annual FTF Outing to "Ohio Powerlands"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:26 AM

RB,
the link to the website with the maps is above in my original post.........I just tried it though and can't get through........I don't know if it's down or I typed it in wrong, I'll double check it later today and re-post it if i screwed it up.

I consulted my maps at home last night and the campground I had in mind for a "base camp" was "K" also called "Bicentennial"......It's a good sized campground right on a nice lake. The one drawback is that it's an open field so there is no shade. On the flipside, there are no mosquitoes!!!! I have stayed at other campgrounds there and been driven into my tent when the sun goes down.

I wish Mass. was only 6 hours away! If it were, I would be re-directing this outing to the Cape! You look at a map of the US and it looks like Mass should only be 6-8 hours away from Ohio........I've made the drive to Pembroke twice in the last year.....16-17 hours......I can make it to Panama City Fla. in 12 hours and have done the Dayton, Ohio-Miami Fla. drive non-stop....20-22 hours.......Oh well....

#17 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:51 AM

I can't seem to create a "link" for the maps, but if you type in the web address i have in my original post for aep, then scroll down to the bottom of the page, click on maps and that will get you there.

sorry,

mike

I did double check the original address i posted and it is working today.

#18 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:04 PM

If you haven't seen it already, the February issue of "Fly fish America" has a list of their "55 Dream trips" for 2005 and on page 37, they have "the Wilds" in ohio listed. As i mentioned earlier, you have to go thru a Columbus fly shop to fish it and a 1 day trip is $325.00 with your pick of 100 lakes.......or you can go on the "FTF" outing on the other side of the fence for "FREE" and have your choice of over 300 lakes/ponds!!!!!

You decide.....

Mike

#19 Leaky Waders

Leaky Waders

Steve Clark- Mind Freak!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:48 PM

That sounds like a good time Mike! biggrin.gif

I think I will try to make it as well. cheers.gif

Leak
Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day.

Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

#20 hexfli

hexfli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:56 PM

I've been thinking about this trip alot. I'm gonna make the Hike to that State to the South for sure. What are the most effective pattern types. Also are there carp availiable in these waters? Thanks for the info!
-Love'em and Leave'em

-Whip it and Strip it-

Eli

Trophy Flies for Trophy Fish @ GreatLakesFly.com

SMALLIE-FEST 2010-May 21/22/23 2010-Huron County Michigan-BE THERE

"A little luck never hurt any fisherman..." ~Sig Hanson

#21 MIKE*A

MIKE*A

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:56 AM

That time of the year, I fish almost exclusively topwater......deerhair, cork poppers, foam spiders/ants........any terrestial patterns would be good.....lots of grasshoppers........damsel flies are unbelievable that time of the year, primarily that flourescent blue.....you do see a few orange ones........I don't get over there enough to really know about any specific "hatches"........as far as fish, every pond i have hit has largemouth bass, bluegills, and channel cats.......other than bluegills, i am not aware of any other forage fish, not to say there aren't any, i just haven't seen any. I have never seen/caught any carp there, however, you stop in any of the bait shops in the area and they have photos of some caught in some of the ponds.......keep in mind, there are over 300 ponds/lakes there.....some supposedly have crappie/perch also....I just haven't seen or caught any.......maybe Cornmuse or someone else might be able to provide a little more insight........I hope what i gave helps.

Mike