Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

cement and thinner tips for our beginners

The next few posts will be a special "things you ought to know" session for some of our new members like Redneckfisherman a few others who are just venturing into thier new addiction we call flytying. I hope these tips help you fellas and serve as summary reviews for all the old veterans on the site.

Cement tricks

Head cement comes in various consistencies, forms, jars, bottles, and even tubes. I prefer a small jar with a wide flat bottom. But what do you do when the jar starts to run low and you have to tip the jar to get the cement you need on your tool? Easy. Add a few marbles to the jar. This adds volume to the cement and will raise the level of the cement so it is easily reached and you don't have to tip the jar. This will greatly reduce the risk of spilling the stuff and ruining everything on your bench.

Thinning Cement

If you want to thin your cement, follow this simple tip: use an eyedropper. A glss eyedropper, which can be bought at any pharmacy for mere cents, is the perfect tool to add thinner to your head cements. Work slowly with your thiner and add only a few drops at a time. Be patient and stir well after each drop and you will have the perfect consistency you desire. Adding thinner with the dropper defianetly keeps you from doing something stupid, like trying to pour the thinner directly into the cement....I had one hell of a mess the first time I tried. Brainfart? Call it what you will, but the eyedropper is by far a better soultion.

Play nice...Big Daddy loves ya

I've switched to Loon's water based head cement. It comes with a sweet applicator. You just hafta run a length of mono through the applicator when you're done to keep it from cloggin', cause then you gotta take a fire to it.

What are your thoughts about head cement adding unwelcome scent to a fly? I try to use it only on flies that really need it for some reason, like shaping legs or if I'm using thick thread on a Bass Bug or big Clouser or somethin'. I really don't know if it's made a difference in my catch rate, but it's a few seconds saved and I haven't had any flies come unravelled except for one that I knew was badly tied and used anyway. (I hate to waste!)

to be honest, LB...I stay away from most commercial head cements and opt for the fingernail polish. Polishes with teflon and nylon are super, super srong and easy to apply. They saturate the thread well and I have never had one come lose. But as far as the nasty chemical smells associated with most cements, I myself have not noticed that it affects the effectiveness of the pattern. if the fish don't mind, I wouldn't. anyone else have any observations on this?

luvinbluegills,

I don't agree that the scent of head cement will cause a fish to refuse a fly. The arguement for this originated with Permit fishermen. I went to Mexico a few years ago and I tested this theory, by cementing all my Crab flies. Here are my results;

8 hook-ups, 3 Permit landed and NO Refusals. I think that if a fish is in feeding mode, it'll eat anything that resembles their food.

TB, i agree...I haven't noticed odor being a factor with my flies....whether it be nasty skunk or coyote or the cement...if the fish don't find, i don't biggrin.gif

I don't know if any of you have tried "Hard as Hull" head cement, it is fantastic, but pricey.

Sign in to follow this