Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Three for One

Today we have three tips...they are quick and to the point, and will that in mind, I decided to give you fellas and gals a bonus today...kinda of a "toofer" thing..... wink.gif

Tip #1

Hand held vises

A very cheap hand held vise can be purchased at your local Wal-mart or art supply store for about 2 bucks.....an Excato Knife. Remove the blade and you have a perfect little handheld vise that can accomodate any hook from a #8 and smaller.....Perfect for stream side tying and it fits in your pocket. You can drill a couple of small holes through the handle, insert a couple of screws and attach it to a piece of wood, log, tree limb, etc for a pedestal.

Tip #2

Desktop camera tripods make excellent vise bases. They allow you to freely rotate the entire vise. It also elimates the need for a heavy pedestal base or clamp bases and comes apart in a blink for storage or packing for a trip.

Tip #3

Cheap Wing Cutters

A great alternative to expensive wing cutting sets is a good toe nail clipper. They cut smooth and crisply and allow you to cut at almost any angle you wish. You can make excellent wings for mayfly duns with these things!!

Today's tips come from "Fly tying Tips & Reference Guide", by Dick Stewart and is published by Mountain Pond Publishing, North Conway, NH

I tell ya. BDH you are just full of it aren't ya.....TIPS is what I am talking about!!!!!!

hehehehe

Sign in to follow this