Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Working on my Parkinson's

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

I think this is a photo of a Red Quill...it's size 14, and I'm learning something new with every fly I tie.

red_zpstm7con9x.jpg

#2 salmobytes

salmobytes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

Ouch.  I'm 70.  I don't have Parkinson's but I do have CSS, which is related to CRS.  It's so hard for me to see I don't tie much anymore.  I tie some but not constantly anymore, like I did for 50 years or more.

I do photography boat building and coding now.  The boats are getting tough.  I can't tell when the power screw driver is in the screw head anymore.  So I end up with gouged fingers a lot.  My current boat may be my last.

Cameras keyboards and wet fly fishing will keep me busy for a while.  Small flies are history for me now. Hang in there. You're tying well. 

/* Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh >--oO0>
** http://montana-riverboats.com */

#3 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:12 PM

Sure looks like red quill.

#4 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 01:06 AM

Good as any I tie. Not that that means anything. Seriously, way to get back on that horse!
cb27

#5 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:36 AM

Great looking fly! 

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#6 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,642 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

Those couple of barbs pointing out at the "4:30" position are the only imperfection I see.

I don't tie flies like that 1) because I don't fish with them and 2) because I can't tie them as good as your example.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 jdowney

jdowney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:34 PM

Ouch.  I'm 70.  I don't have Parkinson's but I do have CSS, which is related to CRS.

I'm gonna have to steal that one :D  We have a bit of software at work called CSS, that is used for displaying instrument telemetry - IF you can get the darn thing configured right.... your version of it works perfectly both for that and my eyes.

#8 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:30 PM

Not a bad fly at all. I have trouble getting the hackle right on mine. Yours looks better than mine, and I have good hands and do surgery .
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach