Fly Tying
feathers5

Squirmy Worms

Just wondering, does anybody fish those squirmy worms? If so, are they worth tying and what colors work the best? Thanks

I made some in red for the local trout pond. Through most of the last month that's about all I could get them to take. The last trout I caught on it was a 19" rainbow. They've also caught a few different panfish. I'd say they work pretty well and plan to tie up some more.

I've used the pink and the chartreuse worms to good effect when fishing delayed harvest streams in mid-winter. There are almost always aquatic worms in the water, especially if there is any mud bottom. I don't really like making them, it isn't really fly tying, but they can be very effective, and can save the day when nothing else is working.

They are the single most effective fly I've ever used for trout - anywhere - and I fish 200-300 days a year with a lot of flies.

They all work, better at different times and places. Pink/red/bloodworm are classics, but dark grewn, orange, and tan have all produced huge for me.

I moved towards only using beadhead versions, either tungsten or brass. Theres good videos on how to tie them (Casters fly shop has one, they're the original "inventors" of the fly/material).

Anyhoo, definitely worth adding to your box.

Just wondering, does anybody fish those squirmy worms? If so, are they worth tying and what colors work the best? Thanks

Yes! Night crawler, Light Pink, Red. Caught Trout, Panfish, and one Snapping Turtle that hung on until I pulled it's head to surface. New meaning to phrase- the Bite was on

They are the single most effective fly I've ever used for trout - anywhere - and I fish 200-300 days a year with a lot of flies.

They all work, better at different times and places. Pink/red/bloodworm are classics, but dark grewn, orange, and tan have all produced huge for me.

I moved towards only using beadhead versions, either tungsten or brass. Theres good videos on how to tie them (Casters fly shop has one, they're the original "inventors" of the fly/material).

Anyhoo, definitely worth adding to your box.

Can you provide a link to that video? I couldn't find any videos on their web site.

Thanks

I have seen many similar cords in beading department, Hobby Lobby, but you may wish to get a sample of the real deal so you get a closer match.

Originally, the tentacles came from cheap knock-offs of a Koosh Ball. There are tons of kids toys that have them. The are usually aimed at toddlers, and often cost $1 to $2. Some are smaller, some are larger, and come in various colors. Check your local dollar stores.

edit: These "Puffer Balls" are an example: https://www.amazon.com/Rhode-Island-Novelty-Puffer-Balls/dp/B002LHA064/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1488206235&sr=8-7&keywords=kush+balls

They roll on the hook. If you put some superfine dubbing down first it helps. I use beadhead ones like carpflyguy. I dub over the worm as well as the material cuts easily.