Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Moffat lamp for fly tying

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 samsonboi

samsonboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:14 PM

I got an unmarked lamp with an extremely bendy neck and a magnifier free from a non-fishing friend, turns out it's a very expensive light from looking up the patent #. It's a Moffatt lamp- easy to pop on and off a mount and move it around to other mounts- originally meant for fly tying and auto/machine shops. It didn't come with a mount, so I got burned a bit for that- a four-dollar mount, great! Except, shipping was 13 bucks 'cause the only company I know of that sells these only ships UPS. However, 17 bucks isn't much for the use of an 80-dollar lamp. I put an LED bulb in it and it's bright as the sun, with much less heat than the recommended 75-watt bulb, or even a 25 watt bulb, for that matter. What do you use as a fly-tying lamp?

#2 Mogup

Mogup

You guys are very cranky !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 07:33 PM

Nice. How bout a picture.

#3 samsonboi

samsonboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:14 AM

This is a stock photo of a very similar one, almost identical but with a couple differences. Mine's not quite as nice as this, this being a newer model. The magnifier is an optional (not aftermarket )add-on.

Rectangular-Magnifier-on-light.jpg

#4 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

Its a nice looking lamp and magnifier but its expensive. I personally would like something similar with a daylight balanced led for under $50

#5 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:31 PM

I use an Ott lamp.

Rick

#6 dadofmolly

dadofmolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 06:30 PM

Nice looking lamp.

<p>Instead of a sign that says 'do not disturb' I need one that says 'already disturbed, proceed with caution'

I don't call it getting old, I call it outliving the warranty

#7 samsonboi

samsonboi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 12:03 PM

I do use a very bright daylight LED bulb in it.

#8 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:52 PM

Looks like it uses the same mounting base as the Elephant brand magnifier i bought from Dan Baileys fly shop 25 years ago. I just broke it out again recently as my eyes are not what they used to be.

Did you get a good deal on the light? I use old architects lights i paid 5$ at a yard sale. Got my led bulb at home depot

#9 Pyme Fisher

Pyme Fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:18 AM

What do you use as a fly-tying lamp?

https://www.jsflyfis...tying-led-light

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20191118_081334.jpg