Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
j8000

White river pole

I've been fishing this year a cheap pfledger 8'pole. Worked well enough throughout the year, but started cracking in the middle lower section about a month ago and finally broke day before yesterday.

I fish small lakes normally about 80% of the time in a raft. I fish size 10's through 14's most of the time for Trout, largest trout's being 20'', but most around the 12'' to 15'' range. About $150 is all I want to spend and would think a 9' pole might help with the casting disadvantage of sitting in a raft. There is only two reviews on this pole that I see. Anyone actually have one or had one?

The White River fly shops Hobbs Creek complete fly outfit

Mike ( user name mikechell) buys White River rods of one variety or another and says he likes them. He might pop in along the way but you could private message him too.

I've had the dogwood canyon for the last 5 years, while my father in law had the Hobbs creek. I loved them both. I can't tell a difference between the two other than price. I think the dogwood rod only is on sale for $60 right now.

I'm no expert but man what a difference between the dogwood/Hobbs creek and the cheap Martin brand rods. Definitely worth it.

That being said, I recently broke my dogwood, (closed it in the truck door), and I may step up to a tfo lefty kreh only because of the warranty..lifetime vs. 1 year.

You won't be disappointed with the Hobbs or the dogwood.. very nice rods that are light, with crisp action. A great rod in my opinion.

I couldn't tell you. I only purchased the rod. I had an old shakespeare reel on mine. For my uses, panfish and bass, the reel was only for holding the line and nothing else.

From all the reviews, the reel seems to be the main difference. I would consider just using the reel from my old pole, but it is starting to sound like it's breaking and makes different sounds then before. Just wondering if it's worth the extra $50 bucks.

Also forgot to ask earlier. Last pole was a 5/6 wt. From the fishing I do, a 6 wt would probably work best? But what if I would like to fish for Steele head a couple times a year? Would a 6wt be able to handle a steel head? or should I use a heavier weight? And if I use a heavier weight for steel head, how good would it be for trout in a small lake?

As Dave mentioned, I am a fan of White River rods from BPS. I've got two Dogwood Canyons, 5 weights. I've got two Buggers, too. And an Intruder series, 6 weight.

I bought all of them as combos, usually when they were on sale. The reels are good. Smooth, silent drags, light weight.

My only complaint with any of them is the handle/grip. They are fine cork veneer over poor grade cork. Most of them haven't had a problem, but on two of them, the veneer started to peel. Still usable, just less "good looking".

But what if I would like to fish for Steele head a couple times a year?

The very reason we all have so many rod's.You will be there too...just give it time.

I would go with a 7wt or bigger for steelhead.7wt may be a little light.I have never fished for them but they fight like a big bass so you're going to need the extra backbone the 7wt offers plus it's capable of throwing the sinking lines you might use..Also need a reel with a good drag system.

I have a 5wt for panfish and trout and a 7wt for throwing bigger bugs at the bass.

I agree, for steelhead I really think you will want a different rig. A lot of 8 wt territory gets fished, or a good 7/8 that is steelhead capable ( mine is a 7/8 wt St Croix 9'6", it's very capable) should work. Steelhead are in some rough terrain often and with strong river flows , they like faster water even though they pass through slower portions to get there. Also, if you're in steelhead country there may be salmon around. Land Locked salmon get fished with 5 and 6 wt rods a lot but not the big powerful fish fresh in from big water or the ocean. I also agree that you will want a decent drag. Just my thoughts though.

Yeah. I grabbed one and cast into the backing. I'm not all that great of a caster. It's a good rod for the price!

I fished with it in the saltwater, and I commented about how nice that rod would be for steelhead.

I used to fish Ohio steelhead. A 6 will work. I use that size for snook down here, which fight almost exactly the same way.

Well I ended up getting the Hobbs Creek in 5 weight 9'. Got it for Christmas and haven't yet tried it out. I did get it a couple of test runs out back a few times when the winter wind was calm. I like it better than the Pfledger.

But to finish off the season, I bought 2 $3 whole cane poles from an estate sale. One was outfitted with the fly parts and the other just had a loop on the tip for that kind of fishing. I didn't know it when I bought it, but the outfitted one was cracked at the butt 8" from the reel. It lasted me the rest of the season, maybe 4 or 5 trips before finally breaking for good (despite really babying it) in mid November. Caught just as many fish with that set up than the Pfledger rod. (I was using the same reel). Anyways, for $3 dollars I defenetally got my moneys worth out of it. I burned the bottom section and saved the upper two pieces, perhaps might come in handy. Took all the parts off of it and put it on the other $3 pole to have another back up for this season.

I believe I'll take some of your advise and look into other rods for other applications. I'm looking to do some small creek fishing this year and will be on the lookout for a used 2 or 3 weight rod. And perhaps a 7 weight for steel head. Although I have an acquaintance that says he has taken steel head from 5 weights before just takes careful work. And his fishing experiences greatly exceed my own. Fishing for many decades more than me.

There are a couple of guys around here who specifically buy those White River rods. My Grandson has one in fact in 5 wt and my son ( a Sage RPL guy and St Croix guy) says it casts fine. So you might wanna think about going back and getting a 3 wt too if they make them ! If you know how to cast you can make any rod work, so the key there is a lot of fishing.

I would like a 3 weight by them, but at their prices it'll have to wait awhile. Next rod I need to get is one for my 9 year old. Her $10 kid pole is worn out and told her I'm buying her a new one. But if I happen to come across one that is in expensive, new or used, then I'd probably pick it up. Not in a big hurry anyways. the 5 weight is my main rod I'll use 80% of the time. The 3 weight is more of a want then a need.

It's really hard to beat those Dogwood Canyon combos at BPS. Get her the 4 weight and you'll both be exceptionally pleased.

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Dogwood-Canyon-Preassembled-Fly-Outfits/product/96504/

Better yet, talk to Steeldrifter. See if he can work you a deal on a custom rod for her. She can use the reel she's got, and get a rod in her favorite colors.

His prices are competitive, even with out special deals.