Fly Tying
Kudu

EP fibers v. Congo Hair

I have been using Congo hair recently to tie baitfish and bluegill. I have been using Puglisi patterns. I have never used EP fibers. My question being what are the differences between these two other than price? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each. Thanks.

They make look the same but are they not. EP coats the materials with water shed type and uses a better color dye which tends to be more brillant. So from same fly to each materials the congo going to be more weight to due to it not shedding water as well. Learning to use the materials is the key, Less is Better.

With that said, Congo hair is still good enough to use and better value lately. My local shop is jacking the prices to 8 bucks and for that I wont pay that much for it. I found it takes just a lil bit more flash materials to offset the EP stuff. Trade off is well worth it but also the customer service from the Congo guy is really lacking and slow and is usually when I need the materials as soon as possible not a few weeks later.

I agree with Phish. I dont think they are the same. I have both in my possession and have tied many flies with both. I think the EP blends with itself better then congo hair if that makes any sense. I am also terribly impatient and can not deal with the 13 days it took me to get the congo hair. Usually when I order something its for a specific reason and something I want to tie soon.

Luckily I have a shop near me that has a good selection of EP for $4.99. Cheapest Ive seen it so I still find myself buying it.

Of course this is just my opinion.

I've been waiting two weeks for some congo hair for a local fly swap that is due the 20th. I sincerely hope that it shows up tomorrow or I will be holding things up.

I have tried both, prefer the EP, but congo hair is dirt cheap and close enough. Though if I could find EP for $5 a bag I'd buy it instead.

I decently order a whole slew of Congo hair to try out as a cheaper alternative to ep fibers. I have found that ordering stuff from the states usually takes a while, 2-3 weeks actually, add on the two weeks it took to process my order and when it finally arrive I had forgotten I ordered it.

Phish, just wondering about where you got the info on the treatment of the fibers to make them waterproof? That could attribute to the extra cost.

I do know from someone in the industry that EP fibers are polypropylene, which are buoyant and shed naturally.

One thing I do know is that for the price, he could allow free access to his tying videos; seems like he would make more money in the long run by selling more materials if more people had access to his videos.

Kirk

SBPatt, I bet that ALM Sea Hair, is Congo Hair in different packaging

I personally like Congo Hair better, I find that it actually sheds water more thn EP Fiber, have yet to fish my stacked crab patterns though.

I do HATE the turn around with the Mad Scientist. Told a friend to order from the site and he has yet to hear from him and its a been a month .... I feel bad that it has been this long and probably won't recommend someone ordering from him again although I personally believe he has a quality, affordable product. But the turn around is just WAY to long.

After looking t he ALM Sea Hair site, I AM SURE it is Congo Hair, and he is just repackaging it

It definitely is one and the same. Note the color choices and even the names of the colors are identical to congo hair. "Golden Stone" "Kelly Green" etc.....

Phish, just wondering about where you got the info on the treatment of the fibers to make them waterproof? That could attribute to the extra cost.

I do know from someone in the industry that EP fibers are polypropylene, which are buoyant and shed naturally.

One thing I do know is that for the price, he could allow free access to his tying videos; seems like he would make more money in the long run by selling more materials if more people had access to his videos.

Kirk

Interesting, this was about 2 years back but after i had made an order from ep i thought i would just try and login with my details and it worked so got all vids for free, not sure if that has changed but i know you are supposed to pay for membership. It is good he has all the hints up to get you on your way.

I really like how the stuff looks underwater, sometimes i do get a little fouling but i rekon it might be my wild casting.

Kirk

I was told this was what they did at the time Congo Hair came on the market. Although I dont really see it but I can attest that EP coloring is so much better. Like I mentioned the Congo feel like a wet mop compared to EP. As for access to video you are right on since this guy is kinda a tightwad about it. With practices and little knowledges it does take long to do them just as well or better.

Also on ALM.com I forgot he has them and is on my FB page and I would highly recommend buying from him. He is from the Cleveland area and I heard great things from Horia(his name) and look forward to fishing with him this spring. I am well stocked for the time being but when I do get low I will go with ALM.

With ALM, you get way better customer service!

As far prices on EP, must be my local shop that is getting to high.