Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Finally got the garden in shape

Well this year it took a lot longer than normal. Usually I have the backyard bonsai garden all cleaned up and in shape by late April, but with my Sister spending two months in ICU and then passing 3 weeks ago, things this spring were just so out of sorts I had not had a chance to get to doing the work. Then with what seemed like rain every day for the past 3 weeks that didn't help either. Finally got some nice weather now and got out and started working on the garden Friday. Took about 3 days worth of work, pulling tons of weeds and getting everything back i shape, but it's finally back to how I like it and can enjoy it again for the summer.

FVvOwZ.jpg
rgkOBX.jpg
NwuxlK.jpg
CyPqOQ.jpg
rYj18S.jpg
9aHbAb.jpg
TD8liY.jpg
MavXAc.jpg
LjDWWS.jpg

Beautiful, again. Envious of the variety of plants and the time you have to dedicate to your garden and your trees.

Looks great, I feel like heading out there and grilling up some ribs or something, heck even a hot dog would do !

Ponds are great water features. Unfortunately I had to change mine around to a pondless waterfall feature. When I had the pond a going some little critter would drown weekly, so now it only runs with water when I am around and generally entertaining. Your back yard bonsi garden looks fabolous and you must be some proud!

Nature is amazing. When you look back at your earlier photos it's hard to believe it looks so established in such a short space of time.

Yeah it really is well established now. The hosta keeps getting bigger and bigger with each year. I have one in the front yard that is just HUGE. I think it was mismarked because when I bought it 6 yrs ago it was just tagged Blue Angle hosta, and was in a small 6" pot. Now its about 6ft in diameter and over 3ft tall lol. I believe it is probably a mammoth hosta and just tagged wrong. I'll have to show a pic of that one.

Love hostas but unfortunately in our climate so do slugs. I've found some diatomaceous earth around the base helps. Not good if the bees find it though.

Been out today with the kids and instead of fish we came back with some tadpoles to start our pond off and hopefully encourage some natural pest control.

Take a pie pan and put about 1/2" -1" of beer in it. The slugs will go to it and die. I've had a few years in the past where I had slug probs and that always worked great for me.

Take a pie pan and put about 1/2" -1" of beer in it. The slugs will go to it and die. I've had a few years in the past where I had slug probs and that always worked great for me.

This !!! Works very well. Be sure to dump and refill it well before it gets "full", though.

C9T4PD.jpg

Here's the big blue hosta I mentioned I have along my driveway. 2L bottle for size comparison. This thing just keeps growing every year. It's over 3ft tall and 5ft wide.