Fly Tying
TroutBum605

Vise and fly kits

I previously had a fly tying setup that i had built up over a few years but lost it in a unfortunate incident. I am wanting to replace everything and start tying again. Does anyone have any advice if whether or not the kits with the vise, tools and materials are any good, I have looked at the Orvis kits and a few others and they all run between $150-$200. Just try to start out on the right foot this time around. Thank You in advance for any help.

I've never seen anyone recommend equipment kits, at least those including a vise. You'll get lots of arguments pro and con whether to start out with a full rotary vise or not, but if your budget is a consideration, and IF you are not tying professionally (i.e., to sell flies) my advise is to start with a vise that allows you to rotate the fly manually without unclasping the hook, but not a full rotary. But most folks, myself included, don't have much good to say about kit vises. I got a simple equipment kit from Cabelas (without a vise) because it had all the basic things: bobbin, hair stacker, whip finisher, scissors, bobbin threader, etc.). Some folks are more particular regarding bobbin and scissors but I'm alright with what I got.

P.S. I don't advise you to buy a fly kit. They won't help you develop technique. Decide what fly (flies) you want to start tying, and buy just the material you'll need for them. Lots of good demonstrations on Youtube for tying just about any fly. Also very good step-by-steps on www.flyanglersonline.com

I'd suggest buying A la cart. Start with the basics, and buy what's on sale. Look around allot, there's always good stuff on sale at different places. And don't forget to browse ebay for any items you may want in bulk.

Since you are not a beginning tyer, I would not recommend a kit. I started tying with a kit and do recommend it for beginners who don't know what they want to tie. I didn't; I just wanted to start tying and it worked out for me. Yes, a lot of the materials, and even the tools aren't top notch, but I'm still using some of them 30 years later. The point is, it got me started. But back to your question, since you already know what you're doing, don't buy a kit. As stated above, go a-la-cart and get what you want.

I'm sorry you lost everything. Good luck.

steve

No kit. The vises are likely to be Indian vises and the components very limited....Orvis has got to make a profit (Huge profit) on the kits. Get yourself a good inexpensive vise (Anvil Apex, for example) and spend the rest on grade 3 hackle which is very good hackle, or even Indian hackle, which will tie a good working fly. And it's cheap. And it's probably what you'll get in a kit.

A long time ago I bought an Orvis kit and the only thing I use from it is a half-hitch tool and a pair of scissors, which I've sharpened. Generally, kits are bad choices for beginners.

I said before only buy what you need for the flies you're tying, at least for now... but it's unlikely you'll tie anything much without some hackle. I got a whole bag of capes of hackle in many different colors, a number of grizzled, some hen some cock, I'm guessing at least 30 capes, in a bag from Cabela for ten bucks a couple of years ago. Not professional grade stuff but certainly good enough for me and my bluegills. And way more than I'll ever use in my lifetime.

You can get the Dr. Slick kit and an Anvil Apex separate. Have a really nice rig too.

When I geared up years ago I bought components as I needed them and materials as I needed them as well. Still ended up with a few items I don't use. I gave my original hackle pliers away because I like the little black spring steel ones, so much lighter and fine tipped. My scissors I bought at the drug store probably 25 years ago, still sharp. They are Fiskars, fine point stainless steel but just straight.

What about a spider vise? I was looking at one of those.

Several people on the forum have them and like them. I believe there are two versions, one a cam locking vice, the other a knob locking vice. Both reported to hold a hook well but it might make a difference to the purchaser which they get.

I've got the cam version. My only comparison is the decades old Supreme I had before. Compared to that one, I love the cam locking feature. I use the rotary feature some, but mostly to look at the other side, and to apply cement to the head, evenly.