Fly Tying
Errock_22

Introduction from Southern California

Hi all,

Just a quick intro:

My name is Eric Blackshear from SoCal, in an area I think is paradise. I'm smack dab in between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, about an hour each way. 5 hrs from the famed Eastern Sierras and 15 min from the Pacific Ocean, specifically near the Channel Islands where they are 11 miles off the coast.

I'm a lifelong fishaholic and have been fishing for 36 of my 38 years, or so I'm told. I started on local streams with my father and then graduated to lakes in high school when I was able to save up from summer work and purchase a small aluminum boat. I fished Lake Casitas when it was a world class largemouth bass factory every chance I had as it's only a half an hour from town. Once we had the quagga mussel invasion and boat quarantines became the norm, I started focusing on the salt.

All of my fishing has been conventional up to this point, I have many accomplishments under my belt, a billfish grand slam, 17 Roosterfish over 50lbs, tuna up to 150lbs. I have my own 24' Ranger bay boat that I fish locally and am taking it for a week to one of the great stillwater lakes, Crowley Lake, for a week of fishing and exploring with my wife and special needs 11 year old son. Fishing is my only hobby and truly a passion for me, if I'm not fishing, I'm reading and learning about fishing.

This past September, my brother took me up to the Sierras to fish a little and explore. Since then, I have become completely and utterly obsessed with fly fishing. I'm 5 rods deep, and started tying flies back in March. I've since fished the Sierras several times since, close to once a month, and have fish up to 25" on the fly so far. I'm so, so excited to be part of the fly fishing community because I can truly see the passion everyone has for this sport.

I hope to be a contributing member of this community and hope to share some adventures along the way.

Best,

Eric

A couple of things...

1. Five rods deep is not quite an obsession yet. Here we call that an area of interest, but only if you built at least two of them yourself.

2. I hope you realize that the above is all in jest. Well, at least for some of us... :D

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard!